24-70 or 28-70 both f2.8

Splitrail

I need some help. Would you buy a very clean 28-70 f2.8 for $800 or save and buy a new 24-70 f2.8? Is there that much difference between the two?

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
If you're using DX, I'd save for the 24-70 because 28 is not quite wide enough on DX. That's for my taste at least. IQ wise, I hear that both are quite great with maybe a slight advantage to the 24-70. Depending on the body you'll be using it with, the AF-S feature might be saving for.

pedroj

WELCOME TO THE FORUM..

I have the Nikon ED AF-S 28-70mm 2.8 D and it is great...With my 16-35..F4 & 80-200 F2.8 does the job...

I don't believe there is a lot difference between the 2..

miknoypinoy

24-70 and the d700 is my favorite combo. that lens is on my camera 90% of the time. it's a little pricey but definitely worth it. again depends on what your shooting.

I'm not afraid . . . YOU WILL BE. . . YOU WILL BE. . .

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Optically, the 24-70mm is much sharper and can control flare much better due to it's Nano coating.

Look for as used 24-70mm. It should save you some extra cash but worth the investment.

Splitrail

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I am going to save for the 24-70 however I am going to look at Tamrons new IS version they have out for their 24-70