Fujifilm S5 Pro

Eye-level

Banned
I am looking into the Fuji S5 Pro. I know Regsy has a S2 but does anyone else have the S3 or S5 and if so what do have to say about it? For those who do not know about this model it is renowned for it's "Fuji color" especially with skin and it's DR which is like an incredible 9 stops EV one of the most highlight recoverable/exposure latitude cameras ever made. They say the DR is even better than the D700. It is high Iso capable up to 1600. It is basically a Fuji sensor in a weather sealed D200 body that uses F mount lenses - a Fuji/Nikon hybrid. On the downside it is slower than molasses with regard to FPS. Said to be a favorite camera for wedding/portrait photographers.

So what do you say?

Eye-level

Banned
Eddie thought you might find this interesting...I just read that the X10's colors are the same as the S5...you might want to try some portraits with that rig.

Eye-level

Banned
I did a little experiment with a single sim HDR S5 shot here borrowed from Flickr member birdseyeviewphotos. Check out his stuff it is fantastic! I sort of figured if this camera has incredible DR then it ought to be excellent for HDR...I think it is so!

impalabirdseyeview_ - Copy_tonemapped.jpg

AC016

Funny little guy it is. It even says "Nikon F Mount" just under the lens mount, lol. Oh, by the way, KR says it's the best "people camera". Take that however you like :)

Eye-level

Banned
Yes it is an odd duck. Fuji paid Nikon to build the bodies and they did the guts. KR would say anything as long as he is getting donations! That being said all over the net it is highly regarded as a wedding/portrait camera. The price on them is firm too for a DSLR camera that old which tells me there is still a big demand for them.

Eye-level

Banned
Jack I sure would like to see a picture of your D200 with grip just to get some idea of what the Fuji would look like. What sort of batteries do you use in your grip? In the case of AA's do they work worth the crap?

Bossman

WE bought the last 5 Fuji S5's that were available in the UK about 3/4 years ago. It is without doubt, in my opinion, the best DSLR that has been made in the last 10 years. They may be others with higher ISO, more rapid fire and more bells and whistles, but nothing can compete with Fuji's superb sensor, especially for Portrait and Wedding work. And for me the image quality is paramount above all else. I was informed that this was why Nikon refused to supply anymore bodies for Fuji to fit their sensor. It sold for nearly half than Nikon's at that time the D200/D300. The S5's we bought were less than £450 each. I recently bought a D7000 for messing about with, I have used it as with a 300mm for picking up candids at wedding, and while its good to use the images quality is not in the same league as the S5.

Eye-level

Banned
Up until the D800 I believe the Fuji was still ranked in the top 5 DR category by dxmox or whatever the heck it is...it's ability to handle the white stuff more adroitly than any DSLR made and it's amazing color rendition is why I want it.

Bossman

Hi eye-level. Have you thought about the Fuji ISpro. I managed to procure one from Fuji about 18 months ago. This is the infra-red version of the S5. Because of its use by the military and police forensic departments Fuji wont sell to anybody and is not readily available here in the UK. I had forms to fill out with disclaimers and also I am not allowed to sell it on if I no longer need it. I have to sell it back to Fuji. The dealer also had to sign confirming that I was a bona fide pro photographer with a genuine reason for wanting it. That said, with a B+W IR cut filter on the end of the lens it performs as a normal S5. If I want to shoot Infra-red then I simply take the cut filter off, focus and shoot,, simple! No black filters needed and no long exposures. Shoot IR images at 500th @ f8. It is a great camera and is my number one back up.