Looking to go FX - D700 or wait for D600?

aZuMi

I'm planning on going FX soon, but I'm not sure whether I should wait for the new Nikon D600 or get a used condition Nikon D700.

Now, I'm planning on purchasing it in a couple of months.

- used D700 for $1700-$1900 ($2,400 new/$2,700 after tax - so buying new is not an option)
- anticipated price of D600 $2400 ($2,700 after tax)

Which one would you recommend getting? Is D600 worth the wait and extra $1,000? Is it worth paying for the features and the fact that it's brand new?

I normally pay the extra $$$ for the newest technology, but if it's this significant - I really try to justify the cost of buying the more expensive DSLR body...

And I'm don't do this for a living, so money does count.

AC016

I don't think anyone can suggest the D600 to you. How can anyone suggest a camera to you that is not even being sold yet, let alone announced? I would wait for the announcement and the first reviews. Until then, i am sure your D90 has plenty of clicks left in it.

Stangman98

Where on earth did you get that price for the D600?? My understanding is the D600 will be between $1600-$1900 from all the reports that I have seen.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I'm planning on going FX soon, but I'm not sure whether I should wait for the new Nikon D600 or get a used condition Nikon D700.

Now, I'm planning on purchasing it in a couple of months.

- used D700 for $1700-$1900 ($2,400 new/$2,700 after tax - so buying new is not an option)
- anticipated price of D600 $2400 ($2,700 after tax)

I had a D700 before and I sold it while its value was still high and got the newer D800E.

Assuming that your figures are correct, the other downside is that you need to consider on how long are you going to wait before you can get one on your hands. My gut feeling it will be sometime next year even if Nikon announces it in September.

Nikon's announcement of the D4 and D800 early this year was great and they did deliver (in limited quantity). Imagine the other photographers like you who are waiting for a D600, they'll be standing in line as well.

If you have the patience to wait, then it might be worth the wait in the end. I think your lens set-up is already there. You can either get the D800 now or just patiently wait. The D700 has been legendary but after using the D800, I don't think I can switch back even if I was given an opportunity to do so.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Actually, here is the latest rumor from NR. There is hope. ;)

Nikon D600 is coming soon, no news on the D300s and D7000 replacements | Nikon Rumors

PS-picture-of-the-Nikon-D600.jpg

Rick M

If it really comes in at around $1500, it will be a steal! I find that hard to believe though. I hope it is over $2000 so I will stay content in the Dx world!

aZuMi

My figures for the D600 are from
Nikon D600

As for the prices of D700, it's a Canadian site that shows the cheapest retailer prices (Photography, Digital Camera, Lens Price Comparisons for Canada - photoprice.ca)

I heard about $1,500-1,800 too, but worse case scenario is $2,400.

I had a D700 before and I sold it while its value was still high and got the newer D800E.

Assuming that your figures are correct, the other downside is that you need to consider on how long are you going to wait before you can get one on your hands. My gut feeling it will be sometime next year even if Nikon announces it in September.

Nikon's announcement of the D4 and D800 early this year was great and they did deliver (in limited quantity). Imagine the other photographers like you who are waiting for a D600, they'll be standing in line as well.

If you have the patience to wait, then it might be worth the wait in the end. I think your lens set-up is already there. You can either get the D800 now or just patiently wait. The D700 has been legendary but after using the D800, I don't think I can switch back even if I was given an opportunity to do so.

Hmm...I think this sums up alot. The technology jump is that significant then? It gets very tempting when the prices of D700 drop within your budget...especially in the used market. As for D800, I doubt I will go that route.

Eye-level

Banned
And D7000 prices and D300 prices I bet...but this means the DX replacement would also be lower than 1500...sorry folks that ain't gonna happen better adjust those targets.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Hmm...I think this sums up alot. The technology jump is that significant then? It gets very tempting when the prices of D700 drop within your budget...especially in the used market. As for D800, I doubt I will go that route.

Almost four years ago, I told myself that the D700 would be my last camera that I'll ever need. That's how I felt when I upgraded from a D80 to D700. It was a huge jump in experience and performance of the camera (not me, I still suck!). The D700 is and willl continue to become a good bargain camera especially if you don't do pro work. Heck, even some wedding photographers are still using two D700 cameras.

I am not exaggerating about the D800. The Dynamic range and the details that you get are just extra ordinary. The D600 will surely offer dual cards (CF / SD cards) and video. AT 24 mp, that is ideal for most photographers. Some say that they don't need the extra mega pixel but of course it's easy to comment on something but most of them have not tried or haven't experienced the difference.

Eye-level

Banned
When is good enough good enough though? Is the D800E the last camera you'll ever need? What happens when they come out with the D900? Is that when the wife looks at you cross-eyed sir? LOL :)

I'd put my money on a Euro fighter any day against a F-22...and if the Euro boys could have done away with all the BS requirements from 4 different places the small rig would be even better!

Technology is a double edged sword.

Like you said though one really needs to see it to believe it.

Last edited:

aZuMi

Thanks for the comments! I'll wait patiently for the D600 then. Whether it's $1,500 or $2,400, it seems to be worth the wait and extra cash than waiting for D700.

...Worst case scenario, I'd buy the used D700 once D600 comes out then buy it for significantly less than $1,700 (highly unlikely though, but $$ talks :)).

aZuMi

If it really comes in at around $1500, it will be a steal! I find that hard to believe though. I hope it is over $2000 so I will stay content in the Dx world!

I think by this statement, you'll be content with DX. The fact that the price will most likely be over $2000.

Sambr

I have a D800,D3s & D700 - The D700 keeps up nicely with the other two here is an example:

D700 & 300mmF4 with 1.4 TC
hornsnteeth-X3.jpg