D700 v D800

T.Behuniak

Just out of curiosity, not that I'm going to be purchasing these cameras any time soon. Just want to hear opinions - if you could purchase a USED D700 or D800 - both had the same price, body only, which would you choose. Just wanna hear what people have to say. Comment below!! :smug:

T.Behuniak

Just out of curiosity, not that I'm going to be purchasing these cameras any time soon. Just want to hear opinions - if you could purchase a USED D700 or D800 - both had the same price, body only, which would you choose. Just wanna hear what people have to say. Comment below!! :smug:

gqtuazon

Gear Head
If the D800 was priced at $3000 and the D700 was priced the same, I don't think there is much to debate on which camera to get.

Edit: Never mind. I'm just confused on why would you compare both cameras. The answer is clearly the D800 unless you just can't stand having a video feature, 100% view finder, dual card slots (SD / CF) and a super resolution that the other camps are so envious about.

Last edited:

Eye-level

Banned
Personally I would go for a D700 but just remember you are talking to a guy who still shoots a F2. :)

Anyway you go you can't go wrong with those two choices.

LensWork

It would depend upon what you shoot; if you are a sports photographer, then the faster fps rate of the D700 (8fps w/ the MB-D10 vs. 4fps of the D800) would be beneficial.

Photowyzard

The D800 is the darling of photography right now. Nikon still can't keep them in stock in local stores. Why? It takes a KILLER IMAGE! However, I do not believe it is a sports camera. It could be I haven't learned how to completely use it yet, but I don't find it has the fps rate or the ability to lock in focus as fast as I would like.

If you are not doing sports, treat yourself to the best camera money can buy right now. You won't regret it.

Duck-Ball.jpg

stmv

D700 a great camera, but now becoming an old design. I always was not happy that they did not give 100% in the viewfinder, but really hard to find any fault with what is now a classic camera that will slowly slowly fade from the scene. I use mine as a rugged outdoors camera.

but,, the D800 is fabulous, I have been totally pleased, after owning 6 Nikon DSLR models, I am convinced, that it will be another 5 years before another model comes around to drive me to another body.

By the way, the D700 was the primary camera for around 4 years, so the model refresh is lengthening.

it always tempting to say,, well this is all that one needs/wants. but who is to say what will happen 5 years from now, as the sensor technology continues to improve, and features improved. I predict a HDR control, where one dials in the dynamic range with the SINGLE shot. but,,, it might be splitting hairs.

In 5 years, processing speeds will be even faster, so, could see 10 fps,,, 50 megapixel, 3D processing, ultra fast mirrorless focusing via live view, but none of these features will make you a better photographer,, that you can't get with an used D80, and a beaten up lens.

Last edited:

stmv

well,, it was discontinued in Japan due to the illegal battery design, but,, who knows, maybe worldwide now. Usually, Nikon does not discontinue until a replacement, and usually they keep going for a while longer still.

the world is still waiting for the FX 24 Megapixel, or less, high frames per second, ultra low noise lower cost FX, at say 2100 dollars.

I see

A D300/D700 replacement at 2100 dollars, < 24 Meg,,

and the D700 would be available until this camera is ramped. I mean people are still buying brand new D700s and the outcry would be huge if Nikon killed the "beloved" D700 before a clear successor to the Nikon throne.

AC016

I could purchase either one; but then again, i would never spend that amount of money on a camera. For me, it would be a very stupid:stupid::stupid: purchase. For that kind of money, i would be able to do so many things that would be far more satisfying for me. For me, it would not give me any advantage over what i have now. In the end, it would be a huge waste of money for me.

stmv

it all comes down to your lens collection, and how large you print your shots, and what type of climate you are using the camera. I hike in cold, wet, dusty, other situations that the sealing of the d300-D4 type of cameras are appreciated.

the other big item for me is the manual controls and quick changeup that the D700/d800 offer.

A third value point is the brightness of the viewfinder. I use old manual primes, and a bright clear view finder greatly aids n the focusing. I wish they even came out with highpoints to improve even further.

but,, the beauty of the free market, is that companies come out with more then one product, and people can tune their selection to their own needs.

Curt

They are two totally different cameras? The D800 is not areplacement for the D 700.
If you are looking for video capability, and very high resolution(poster size prints) then the D 800 is your camera. If you are looking for afast camera is super high ISO then the D 700 is your beast. I hear they aregoing to continue to make the D 700.
The D 700 has been on my wish list for a few years now, I finallygot one a few weeks ago. I must say it is one fantastic camera. It is exactly whatI was looking for: FX format, High ISO, very well made. I also have a D 7000 asa second camera, which I love as well. It has the 1080 Video (so all iscovered). So there really is no question of which to buy D 700 or D 800? Itreally depends on what you would be using it for?
The image quality on the D 700 is beautiful, unless you areblowing up you pics to poster size The D 700 is a great choice. Buy if you havemoney to spend then you might want to look at the D 800. Just my two cents.

Photowyzard

I have a D800, if my feature compare list is correct, the ISO ratings on both cameras are identical with an ever so slight edge for lower ISO going to the D800.

FPS goes to the D700 by 1 fps faster speed.

Movie is all D800.

Shutter speeds are the same

Exposure bracketing is about the same

Dynamic focus points are the same etc.

These cameras are almost identical except.....

Where it counts.

36 mp for the D800, vs 12 mp for the D700
- you can dummy DOWN the MP on the D800 :)

Price difference: $600?

I think, the D800 is a substantially a better value purchase for your money.

My hunch is, the D700 will be discontinued, if it isn't already so. A great camera, but technologically, it had its day in the sun.

Dave_W

The Dude
Also, D800 has the newest EXPEED-3 image processor technology vs. EXPEED-2 in the D700. This accounts for the spectacular color rendition of the D800 that is one of the main reason for the many awards it has been given.