D800 Availability

Ruidoso Bill

Seems like most of the online folks just say back ordered, does anyone know (heard) what the issue in production is?

Last edited:

Rick M

Not sure, but it's always in stock at my local shop. When the D400 (or next great Dx) comes out, I'm not gonna do any pre-order at these online retailers. It seems like folks that pre-ordered are waiting longer at BH than local dealers.

Billy Y.

Samy's Camera has them, or they did last week, and the one I got does not have the left focus issue. I don't know what the holdup could be, but the 14-24, and the 16-35 VR have been out of stock at b&h and adorama for months. I am sure they are checking and double checking to make sure there are no more issues. :)

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Bill - try pcnation.com and ask for Pearl. They show instock as of 8/21. That is where I got my D800E. I also normally get my camera supplies from either B & H photo or Adorama.com but not with the D800 since they are in a high demand at the moment. The unusually higher demand maybe caused by numerous factors such as: 1. Gotta have the latest and greatest (NPS, wedding pros, and enthusiast alike); 2. Medium Format users are tapping in with the D800/E since it is much cheaper compared to their Blad; 3. Canon users switching to Nikon. ;)

Digital Cameras - Buy the best Digital Cameras for sale at PCNation | PCNation.com

Last edited:

Photowyzard

I haven't heard of any new problems in production. It's just that everyone on the plant wants one.

The D800 is the hottest ticket in Photography, right now, according to a sales rep I spoke to at a camera store two weeks ago. We were out of town and I stumbled in on a Sunday afternoon and had mine slung over my shoulder and it instantly sparked up a conversation.

He said he has never seen anything like it in all his years in camera sales. They can't keep them on the shelf. What comes in from Nikon, goes out the door almost as fast. The store gets its weekly shipments and the bottom line is.... they SELL.

He said no other brand has this interest or this intensity and no other brand had orders like the D800.

I was quite surprised.

Well, owning one and seeing what it can do, not really!! :)

BBrown

I ordered my D800 in February from B&H Photo. Completely frustrated, I gave up in July. I called Nikon USA directly to see if they had any in stock. Let me put it to you this way, I ordered my D800 from Nikon on July 17th and received it two days later. Needless to say, I cancelled my order with B&H. As far as the backorder situation goes, some retailers told me Nikon way under estimated sales expectations. Gee, ya think? Anyway, I do have the camera and it truly is an amazing piece of electronics.