Don't yank my chain!

Rick M

Crop opinions please! When I composed this shot I liked the long chain leading to the boat, but now I cannot decide on which crop I like better. The first shows all of the chain and length I wanted, but also a lot of dead space at the bottom. The second takes away from the chain, but enlarges other elements like the trees and reflections.

Which do you like?

Thanks!

DSC_0001_3105_2_3106_3_3107_tonemapped.jpg

DSC_0001_3105_2_3106_3_3107_tonemapped-4.jpg

Philnz

Crop opinions please! When I composed this shot I liked the long chain leading to the boat, but now I cannot decide on which crop I like better. The first shows all of the chain and length I wanted, but also a lot of dead space at the bottom. The second takes away from the chain, but enlarges other elements like the trees and reflections.

Which do you like?

Thanks!

View attachment 14976

View attachment 14977
The second does it for me.

KWJams

They both work.
The 1st one gives more emphasis on the foreground which caught my eye first and then drew me down the length of the chain to the flaming skull with the water and trees as back ground eye candy. But the details on the boat are not as defined as they are in the 2nd crop.

Tough call since they both have good stuff working for them. Maybe take the 2nd crop and place the chain (leading line) in the lower left corner like in the 1st one and then you have the foreground, the details of the boat which is the focal point and the back ground eye candy.

fotojack

I like that first shot the best. It has more visual interest in my ever so humble opinion. That second just seems too much "in your face".....know what I mean?

Patrick M

I agree they both work. The first is great depth and makes you look at the scene, while the second focuses the eye on the boat...drawing the focus to the icon on the bow.

For me anyway.

I think the shot is great.

Patrick
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
For me it's more natural to see the chain start from the exact corner. It take my eyes more into the shot.

So my vote is for the first one.