Putting together an Analog Film SLR Camera

kazar

Hi all,

I want to put together an analog singe lens reflex(slr) camera to make realistic family photos at home in a 5x5meter room. So the distance is not far, maximum 2-3 meters, just enough to see the face from close and a little part of the body. The faces of the persons in the taken photo should be like in real life, sharp, not hazy and without shadow. I dont want to spend out too much, budget is around 100-200 euros.

Which one of the following list do you suggest?

-Canon A-1
-Nikon F-801
-Nikon F3
-Canon EOS 30 en 33
-Canon eos 500
-nikon f90x
-nikon f75
-Canon EOS 3000V Rebel K2
-Nikon F-301
-CANON AE-1
-Pentax 645NII
-Pentax K1000

What type of lens, camera flash, camera lamp, studio lamp should i consider to achieve my goal? Do i need a softbox, umbrella or a polarizer?

stmv

wow spend so much, Nikon FE2, Nikon FA, or a Nikon 8001, Nikon 6006,, all can be had for less than 100 dollars, often closer to 50 dollars. seems like a classic 85 mm would be right, again, just buy a used 85 1.8 manual,

If you are going analog, might as well go old school manual lens. a couple of directional lights, and some low cost diffusers (maybe make your own with a diffuser and some type of clamp on a chair.

Eye-level

Banned
From your list the Nikon F3 (I would get a F2 instead but that's just me) and for the lens 105/2.5. 85/1.8 is a good one too not so great for head and shoulders but very good for half portraits.

Eye-level

Banned
I was unaware of the F90x but damn! What a camera! I think if you are going this way then you are going to have to find AF lens in your price range in the 85-135mm focal length range.

Kazar where are you from? Why the interest in film? Do you have a DSLR?

Eye-level

Banned
You know if I was going to buy another film camera (which I am thinking about doing) it would have to be a Nikon FM2 Titanium version. That is the best deal on a film camera going nowadays. They are floating at around 500-600 bucks which is dirt cheap for a titanium body camera. F2 Titans go for several thousand. F3T's go for big bucks. Funny how the FM2 Titanium is so cheap relatively speaking. IMO the FM2 is probably the best 35mm film camera ever made anywhere anytime besting the F2 because of it's shutter speed flash sync and ergonomics and weight. The shot of the Afghan Girl was made with a FM2.

Fm2T Year of the Dog.jpg

Last edited:

Eye-level

Banned
My uncle always razzes me about being Nikon. I asked him well what would you use? He says Olympus OM. There are many many folks out there like you and him sir! :)

I've yet to look through an OM viewfinder but it is supposed to be the cat's meow and I do know that some of the Zuiko glass is great.

That is why I am obsessing over the FM2T lately because it is compact like the OM series...

The OM's are handsome units too...

Olympus-Olympus-OM-4-T.jpg

Last edited:

kazar

I was unaware of the F90x but damn! What a camera! I think if you are going this way then you are going to have to find AF lens in your price range in the 85-135mm focal length range.

Kazar where are you from? Why the interest in film? Do you have a DSLR?

I live in netherlands, no i dont have a dslr.

Eye-level

Banned
OK...safest cheapest bet going...regular old FE or FE2 or FM2 and Nikkor 50/1.8 Ais short barrel lens. You should be able to get that kit at your budget maybe a tiny bit more. That camera would be small, light, fast and would dominate a 5X5 meter room very easily. With a tripod you could shoot by candlelight. You'll still be able to handhold no flash in room lighting wide open.

Good solid tripod and a flash and maybe a reflector and a couple of spotlights and your set.