Your opinions please!

Marilynne

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Two photos of Great Egret.
d5100_009.jpg

d5100_009_edit.jpg

My husband likes one and I like the other. I'm not saying which. I don't want to prejudice your opinions.

Thanks,
Marilynne

crisscross

half way between!!! The neck feathers are coming out better on the lower one, but you have lost the colour detail on the beak and the veg is getting a touch over-boiled

Phillydog1958

Yea, nice shots. I'd also prefer a shot exposed between the 2 you have. But, if I had to pick one, I'd go with the first. The darker, slightly underexposed background allows the bird to almost pop off the page.

RickSawThat

I like the darker one. If it was mine on the computer I would boost the detail in the highlights and add a little pop to the eye. I would also consider actually darkening the foilage in the background a bit.

Nikon Photographer

Out of the two, I'd go for the top one, I hope you don't mind but I did a little work on it, took me around 5 min's, just adjusted the midtones in the levels settings and upped the saturation a touch ...

d5100_009.jpg

Marilynne

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Out of the two, I'd go for the top one, I hope you don't mind but I did a little work on it, took me around 5 min's, just adjusted the midtones in the levels settings and upped the saturation a touch ...

d5100_009.jpg

Great job! I'm only starting out (D5100 and my experience are 3 weeks old) and I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing!

Marilynne

Last edited:

Marilynne

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
half way between!!! The neck feathers are coming out better on the lower one, but you have lost the colour detail on the beak and the veg is getting a touch over-boiled

You are correct. I like the bird detail better but not the pond apple. The brightness of the pond apple is distracting.

Marilynne

Nikon Photographer

Great job! I'm only starting out (D5100 and my experience are 3 weeks old) and I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing!

Marilynne

Well if that's the quality of the shots you are getting after only 3 weeks, your doing a cracking job !, are you using Jpeg or Raw ? taking the shot on Raw and converting it afterwards will give you a much better result than letting the camera process the image.

Marilynne

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Well if that's the quality of the shots you are getting after only 3 weeks, your doing a cracking job !, are you using Jpeg or Raw ? taking the shot on Raw and converting it afterwards will give you a much better result than letting the camera process the image.

Thanks! I'm using JPEG. I've heard of RAW, but I guess I didn't get that far in the reference manual yet. I'll have to read up on it.

Marilynne

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Thanks for all of your feedback. I really appreciate all of your comments. My pick was the top photo also, but I do like the detail of the egret in the bottom photo.