Tripod

Mr.Smith

Hey all opinions on this tripod please..

Manfrotto 055XPROB Pro Tripod Black with 804RC2 Head.

Its my first tripod so any others out there at and around the same price please let me know.

Thanks

pedroj

Hi...The tripod I use is called a Benro...It cost about $125 then I bought a 3 way tilt head for about $60..

Holds my D300 and a Sigma 50-500mm without a problem...Check them out...

N_Addy

I'm not a Manfrotto fan but those legs get fairly decent reviews on Amazon.

It's always difficult to answer the question "what tripod should I get" without more information. Specifically, the following questions should be asked:

1) What is the total weight of your camera and heaviest lens you hope to support? Will this tripod EASILY support them? You don't want to start off pushing it's capacity limits.
2) What is the maximum height you need (i.e. how tall are you at eye-level)? 'Nuff said.
3) How do you plan to use it? For example, will you be carrying it a lot (i.e. hiking or traveling) or is it primarily intended for a fixed location (such as a studio)? For studio work you can use just about anything as long as it's stable. If you plan to carry it around town you may be better off with carbon fiber legs. They are usually lighter and easier to carry. Also, if it is to be stored in a suitcase then you probably want it to collapse down to 22" or less.

IMHO a good tripod is the number one most important accessory you can buy. Getting it right the first time can save you a bundle in the long-run. Wrong choices just sit in the closet.

N_Addy

Tripods were my biggest source of sticker shock when I first started looking. My first inclination was to "just get something cheap to start with". I was quickly talked out of that approach by a knowledgeable buddy. In the end my tripod and ballhead cost more than my camera body but it was SOOO worth it. They will last me a lifetime.

Thom Hogan has a great article on why buying right the first time can save you money. It's worth a read.

Tripods and Ball Heads by Thom Hogan

Now I'm not suggesting that you spend a small fortune. But definitely do your research and buy the best you can afford. You'll thank yourself later.

Rick M

Another thing to consider is how many leg extensions it has. I prefer 3, even on my most portable tripod. I'd rather carry a tripod 3-4 inches longer than deal with 4 or 5 sets of extensions. I hate wasting time and potentially missing a shot messing around with them. More extensions tend to decrease stability also.

N_Addy

Good point. That was one of the decisions I struggled over. More leg segments usually allow the tripod to collapse into a smaller footprint but at the cost of (slightly) decreased stability and increased set-up time. In the end I purposely chose four segment legs because the ability to fit it in a suitcase was important to me. The tripod (with no ballhead attached) collapses down to 21". Stability on the Gitzo is not an issue (it is rock solid) but it does take me an extra precious second or two to get it set up.

yega2012

Thanks for the info, now I'm start Hunting for tripod online
:D
index.jpg