Orange Spots

VanSnyder

Orange Spots, or some people may call them "Orbs", are showing a lot more frequently with a D5100 then Ive ever had before. One usually in a shoot shows up when im shooting outside during the day. I dont know if they are just orbs, or if something is wrong with my camera. Does anyone know?

Ruidoso Bill

Yes, please post some so we can see, are you getting sun flares, are you using a lens hood? Even indirect daylight shots can have light bouncing around within the lens.

VanSnyder

107_original.jpg

stmv

you can see orbs right when you are framing the shot, I hate lens hoods, so, I'll just hold my hand above the lens,, out of the frame, and I can typically eliminate the spot, now that you know they are there, you can keep an eye out for them, and eliminate them, also, for the few that slip thru, easy to clone out in most shots. Some lens are worst then others, I have some antique lens that are just awful.

fotojack

Use a hood lens. Those are sun spots bouncing on the inside of the front lens.

What lens are you using for these shots?

Oh...and don't forget to keep the front of the lens clean. Use a UV filter if you can....helps a lot.

Last edited:

WhiteLight

i've had the same issue, i posted about it in another thread too..
two things i noticed - it happens when i am taking pics for a long time (say over an hour) on a bright day.
and second - i've noticed it on the 18-55 lens..

do these concur with you too?

VanSnyder

Yes to everything! I use 18-55 lens. I have cleaned it many times since i bought it earlier this year, but it still happens on those bright long days.

AC016

Looking at the pictures again, it seems that this "orb" is in the same place within the frame in each picture. Further, it seems to be the exact same size and color. This leads me to beleive - maaaaybe - that there is something on the sensor???? Does anyone else have input on this?

WhiteLight

Happens to me too...
as far as i have noticed it only happens on the 18-55 & on no other lens in similar conditions.
So don't think it could be a problem with the sensor... i hope!
I also think the size of the 'orb' increases slightly as the day goes on

RickSawThat

You guys are shooting into the sun with no lens hood? Just adjust your angle and your problems will be solved, a lens is made of multiple groups of glass lenses looking right into the light will cause denigration of the image.

eurotrash

Hm. Looks like something on the sensor to me. Also could be some residual oil from something in the manufacturing process? It DOES seem to be the same size and colour in all the shots... I've never had this problem with my 18-55

kalci_77

I see the same exact orange spot, exact same dimension and almost same spot on my brand new d3100. I could only see it when facing the sun directly. Please let me know how you resolved your issue?