What Lens??

lynx1

Hi.

I have the D3100 and I am looking for a 50mm lens for portraits, but what one would be best? I have been looking at the Nikon 50mm F1.8 AF-S Nikkor but is not within my budget and can't seem to find them second hand. Any suggestions?

Many Thanks

lynx1

Hi.
Thanks for the advice. I have seen two lenses that are fixed at 50mm which from what i have read is perfect for creating portraits, creating the bokeh affect. The two products are:-
Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8G Lens
Nikon 50mm f/1.8D AF Nikkor Lens
can someone explain to me what the difference is and what the "G" & "D" stands for?

Many thanks

pedroj

Hi.
Thanks for the advice. I have seen two lenses that are fixed at 50mm which from what i have read is perfect for creating portraits, creating the bokeh affect. The two products are:-
Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8G Lens
Nikon 50mm f/1.8D AF Nikkor Lens
can someone explain to me what the difference is and what the "G" & "D" stands for?

Many thanks

The AF-S has an auto focus motor and the other [Nikon 50mm f/1.8D AF]doesn't and wont auto focus on cameras like the D40..D60..D3000/D5000 series...

Last edited:

lynx1

Many thanks for advice and information. It seems the only 50mm lens in my budget is the Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8G Lens.