Need inputs please :)

Kamesh

The following are few pics which I took with my D7000 during our Independence Day Ride here in New Delhi, India yesterday. Those were taken when the Sun popped out and in Manual Mode! Somehow I feel that these two pics lack sharpness..

DSC_2633_1415_01.JPGDSC_2685_1455_01.JPG

I have spectacles since childhood and the view finder is always a problem for me, but still i use. Do guys with spectacles have to remove the rubber cap on the viewfinder?

AC016

I keep the rubber piece on. Though, on sunny days, having glasses that have transition lenses is a pain. You end up with a good part of your lens un-tinted and the other part tinted after you take your eye from the viewfinder,lol. Silly question: why is there only one woman there?

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Well, the first thing that comes to mind is that you used your lens at it's wides aperture. Closing down one or two stops ALWAYS increases sharpness.

Second, if you started with a raw file, you must apply a little or more sharpening to the files. Raw files don't look sharp to start with, but the information is all there to make them sharp with the help of post processing (pp).

So in this case, I'd start with giving the files a little more sharpening, and, for the future, when you want maximum sharpness, close your lens a stop or two when you take the photos. With the D700, don't be afraid of using 200 to 400 iso, the grain or noise just won't be there at that speed.

Good luck.

Rick M

I agree with Marcel. A group that size is not on the same focal plane, so you really need a smaller aperature for more DoF. I would say f6.3-8 would have worked.

Kamesh

Thank you all,

I am just forgetting there F value all the time. While shooting birds, I increase the iso and exposure to +3 or -3 and increase the shutter speed, but somehow, am missing the F.

Thanks once again :)

From my Galaxy S2 (Tapatalk 2)

Kamesh

This morning, after two hours of wait, finally came the Eagle a little away from me and I managed to take the following shots. Time to learn from experts again :) It was very cloudy in the morning and sun trying to peek out. The exposure was pretty tough as the Eagle past through different phases

DSC_2924_1575.JPGDSC_2925_1576.JPGDSC_2926_1577.JPGDSC_2927_1578.JPGDSC_2928_1579.JPGDSC_2929_1580.JPGDSC_2930_1581.JPGDSC_2931_1582.JPGDSC_2934_1585.JPG

Last edited:

Pierro

Kamesh,

I think it might be a better idea to keep one subject per thread, as it could get messy :) Maybe delete the eagles and start a new one on its own ?

Regarding the group shot, decent shot by the way - just lacking a little PP is all - you've had great advice re. settings, cant add anything there, but PP for the shot could do with a little extra. I picked the shot with the wall as the background is much more pleasing, to me anyways. I've tried to balance up the over bright parts with the over dark parts to get a more even feel across the whole picture, + slight vibrance + slight sharpening. See what you think, hope its ok to post your edited photo

2lny3ir.jpg

Attachments

• Kamesh.jpg
    Kamesh.jpg
    687.7 KB · Views: 188
Last edited:

Kamesh

Thanks a ton.
But creating separate threads, I feel, may amount to flooding the critique section :)
Thanks for looking the pick:)

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
This morning, after two hours of wait, finally came the Eagle a little away from me and I managed to take the following shots. Time to learn from experts again :) It was very cloudy in the morning and sun trying to peek out. The exposure was pretty tough as the Eagle past through different phases

Kamesh,

Please read the critique rules. For critics, one picture per day.

Your eagle shots seem all underexposed. The camera's meter tried to make the sky grey, and it did but when shooting against a white background, the subject will be underexposed unless you use exposure compensation (maybe +.7 to +1).

Kamesh

Thanks Marcel for your suggestions.

Will not bother anyone anymore, except taking part in weekly challenges until I join any photo groups in my locality. ;)

gqtuazon

Gear Head

The bird that you took is called a black kite and not an eagle. They are more of a scavenger.