stay with my d60 or upgrade to a d90 or d5100

rabbit

I currently have a d60 with an 18 - 105 lens which I love and have used it to take some very nice pictures with. I would like to have some feedback from those that own both the d90 and the d5100 as to the advantages these camera's offer. I was on a trip recently in the baltic sea region on a cruise and nikon users were better than a 2-1 ratio. I will share some of these pictures with the group as soon as I get them downloaded from the camera. I shot over 1500 photo's as I was in many countries.

AC016

:nightmare: Spec wise - speeds and feeds - the 5100 is the better camera. Will it take "better" pictures?? No. Will the D90 take "better" pictures, no. You are the one that will take the "better" picture. I have a D80 - controls are pretty much same as with D90 - and i can say that Adjusting settings such as ISO, Aperture, WB, etc. are easier to access on the D80(90). D90 also has an in body focus motor. In terms of the overall camera, i believe the D90 only has those two advantages over the 5100. I would read reviews for yourself and make your own decision; because after all, it is you that will be using the camera. I am very happy with my 5100, never had any issues. I am also very happy witih my D80.

Nikon Photographer

Before upgrading, ask yourself what the camera you already have doesn't do for you, and then ask yourself what you want a camera to do that you can't do with the one you already have, then you will know which one to go for ... no use upgrading just for the sake of it ...

Billy Y.

No no no, ask yourself how satisfying and fun it will be when that new camera arrives and you pick it up and start shooting with it for the first time... I love upgrading to stuff I don't really need :D. Although, my last 2 upgrades actually did take better quality pictures than the previous camera, finding the subject matter is still up to the photographer.

joecap

Go with the D5100.. Much newer tech built into in over the D90.
If your 18-105mm lens is with the motor built in and VR, then the D5100 would Shine....

FastPat27

Hi guys
New to the forum, and still very much learning about photography so excuse my ignorance.

I have had a D60 for 2-3 years now and decided to upgrade to a D5100 as I think the video will come in useful. I am sitting here with both cameras and it seems to me that the D60 will take a better picture than the D5100. The way I am testing this is just put the camera on auto and take a photo of text on the wall, the D60 will be a sharper image and easier to read the text. What am I doing wrong as I would assume the D5100 should be better than this.

Thank for any advice

Pat

John P

I shoot with a D90. While I can very much appreciate new technology. As I have owned plenty of other Nikons before the D90. I really have no reason to (upgrade) until this camera dies of old age.
I have gotten spectacular enlargements, and made many into banners of substantial size. The D90 has never left me wanting for more.

Plus the internal focus motor. Is an absolute necessity for me.

Photowyzard

There are subtle differences between the two cameras and you should do a side by side comparison and rule out the ones that you don't care about before you choose.

Make sure you also understand the implications of an internal focus motor! You may find, in time, this is more important than you think.

Go here:

D90 from Nikon

I have a D90 and it is a wonderful, solid camera that has served me well. I have replaced it with the D800. You will most likely, not be disappointed by either camera.