D5100 remote

krash

Just upgraded from a D80, and I'm at a loss on the remote, and very disappointed.
Hope there is some good news here on my problem.

I have not been able to get the remote to work, ML-L3.
Set every thing as manual says, and nothing. And I've changed batteries twice.
It works just fine with my D80, and I have to admit, much easier.
And what is this with the remote resetting after only 1 minute, do the geeks at Nikon ever actually get in the field. Try sitting there for 5-10 minutes waiting for a humming bird.

Maybe a hack some where or firmware upgrade??

BTW I was really bummed to find that they eliminated the wired remote (very handy for night shots like the moon. )

joecap

Sorry to hear you are having issues.
I have a D5100 and the NIKON remote.
Did you go into the Camera menu and change the setting to, lets say 5secs, remote ?
Also do you have the Big complete Nikon D5100 Users guide. It was on the CD or you can download it to your PC.
Its the Bible for this camera..

krash

Thanks for the reminders.
I'm just used to my D80, had a nice button right on top, and yes I did download the manual, just haven't memorized it yet :eek:)
I'm a leftover from the old days before digital, and like things simple :eek:)

While I'm here, the reason for all this in the first place is that I noticed that these new cameras shake to much when the shutter is released.
I think it's because they are just to light. The old all metal cameras had the mass to stay put when the mirror and shutter jumped around.
Now it seams, no matter how well it's mounted, the camera still shudders when you hit that button. On a long shot, it gets even worse.
I got the D5100 because it was supposed to be more stable, but I haven't noticed any difference. You can still feel the camera shudder when you take a shot.

krash

Yep, I've played with all that. There still might be some thing I'm missing, with digital you have to learn the programs, and the camera :eek:)
Most of the stuff on new cameras I have little use for, so I tend to stay away from the manual until until I have to.
There is also the possibility that my lenses are warn, as I got both used with my D80.

Crispy

Slightly off topic but does anyone here use the Amazon Basics remote? Just ordered one tonight and I'm curious if we have users here.

evil_betty

krash, I checked Nikon's website for using the ML-L3 and found the following information. I know you have checked the manual, but figured it couldn't hurt to double-check. I would contact Nikon support if you are unable to resolve the issue. Hope you can get it working.

"5. D3000, D5000, D5100: the option is found in the Release Mode list. See pg 38 (D3000), pg 65 (D5000), or pg 36 (D5100) in your user manual."

Crispy, I use the Amazon basics remote and it works fine with my D5100.

-Justin

eurotrash

You admitted you didn't read the manual yet.
Go ahead and do that, there's lots of important information inside.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but I'm also not in the habit of doing other people's homework.

Last edited:

Patrick M

I also went from the D80 to the D5100 and the remote worked perfectly after I replaced the battery.

Patrick
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

AC016

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but I'm also not in the habit of doing other people's homework.

This happens all to often on here. It's very tiring to see posts here that obviously have a very quick Google search solution to them. That or the user just needs to crack open their manual.

WhiteLight

Well, i have the same remote & it works beautifully...
and for that price for an original nikon product, makes you smile everytime you clik the remote..

This is wat i did & hopefully you are too-

You have to first goto release mode & you have 2 options of a) quick response remote & b) delayed remote..
your remote will work only under these 2 settings...

Also you can set the timer for the remote..
here's how-

Custom Settings Menu > Timers/AE lock > Remote on DUration...
You have options of 1 min, 5 min, 10 min & 15 min..
the 'geeks' at nikon did think it out eh? :D

Philnz

The D5100 is not the camera for lazy people!!!!!!!

silvercreek

I generally like trying to figure some things out myself but when all else fails, the CD instructions are helpful. My ML-L3 remote works great on my D5100 with the correct camera adjustment.

Last edited: