Purchasing Back up - Recommendations?

kaughtphotography

Hi!

I am currently a college student with a sort of surprisingly booming career in photography. I have only been at it for a few years, but my schedule for the fall has gotten me a little overwhelmed. I am to the point where it's getting serious enough for me to consider really buckling down and putting everything into it. Photography has largely been a hobby for me, but business has really started to get steady. I recently sold my old D3000 for some extra cash because it wasn't really functional with a couple of my lenses (autofocus wasn't compatible). I shoot a D90 which, I realize isn't the top notch portrait DSLR. I do love it though, and for a broke college student, it's working pretty well! I've got a few weddings coming up though, and the thought of not having a backup scares me to death! I am looking to purchase a back up or possibly upgrade and use my D90 as my second camera. I have looked at all of the current models, and am considering even taking out a small loan to splurge on a great one. I was just wondering what models you guys have experience with and what you would recommend? I realize that the photographer and the lens make the photo, but I want to make a smart choice choosing a new camera!

Thank you so much for any advice!
Krista

KWJams

Tough question to answer.
The D90 is an above entry level camera and perhaps a better lens would serve you better than another camera.

kaughtphotography

Well, the issue is that I need another camera for backup purposes. Shooting a wedding without a secondary scares me to death. I have been looking at the D7000, and that seems like the obvious choice as it's a bit of an upgrade and isn't too pricey. Any thoughts? I guess I should mention that I shoot mostly families, newborns, weddings, and seniors.

Phillydog1958

If you're earning money, you're right about wanting a back up. I've heard a few horror stories about a camera malfunction during a shoot. If you're wanting this backup to be an upgrade, I'd suggest the D7000 or maybe you can hold off for Nikon to release their rumored D600, full-framed camera.

KWJams

I misunderstood what you were trying to do. I had it in my mind that you wanted 2 cameras for different duties like one for close-ups and another for crowd celebration type shots.

joecap

Now is a good time to buy a Nikon camera.
Prices are starting to drop. New Models are coming out.
I would go wit the D5100. I own one and love it. seen them with kit lens for $599
Next on list is the D7000. seen one on-line yesterday with 2 - lenes $899
Good luck..

Eye-level

Banned
I have actually seen a wedding were the photographer brought only one camera and it screwed it up right off the bat! You are going to have to find out what you want as you will get five different answers here. All of the new stuff is fine for what you are doing. Personally I would probably get another D90 and a 85mm lens.