Help me pick a camera.

DrewPhotos

Greetings everyone,

I have been using a D3000 for the past few years for my photography. I shoot an array of subjects, but the majority are wedding, maternity, new born, and family photo sessions (some outdoor and some indoor). Some 50,000 photos later and I am looking to turn my d3000 into my back up camera and upgrade some.

The two cameras I am looking at are the d700 and the d7000. I dont forsee myself using the video feature that much at all. Perhaps a little during weddings maybe.
My dilemma though is, I am not sure the quality of the d700 is that much better to warrant the price difference. If I get the d7000, I can afford another lense or two.
I would greatly appreciate opinions on this, especially if anyone has experience with both models.

AC016

Well, you got a full frame camera up against the top of the line crop. Ask yourself if you really need a full-frame camera? If no, then decision made, go with D7K. The 700 is also better at high ISO with less noise. The D7k is lighter/smaller,shoots faster, has more storage slots, battery life is a bit better and as you pointed out, shoots video. I would say that since you are doing events, i would go with the D7k because it has video, it is lighter and you can backup your shots on the second memory card. Just my opinion though.

*i really hope no one suggests the D90 to you. Seems to be a trend on here.

Last edited:

stmv

the wedding statement swung it to the dual memory slot of the 7K, I would not want to be responsible for someone's memories without the dual slot, and still bring the 3K as backup for the 7000 (one never knows), and you are already used to the 1.5X so,, it would make since switching back and forth between the two cameras.

AntrimHills

I would say go for the D7K, purely because the extra money will help you go for more in the lens department, and what STMV said above. D5100Shooter seems to think some might point you in the direction of a D90 (I think that might, among others, be directed at me), and normally for a new user not terribly sure on what to go for, I would. :p In this instance, however, I think the D7K is a clear choice for you.

AC016

I would say go for the D7K, purely because the extra money will help you go for more in the lens department, and what STMV said above. D5100Shooter seems to think some might point you in the direction of a D90 (I think that might, among others, be directed at me), and normally for a new user not terribly sure on what to go for, I would. :p In this instance, however, I think the D7K is a clear choice for you.

Don't worry, you can suggest discontinued products to the next FNG, lol :)

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
If your photos are for customers, go with the D700. The high iso quality will pay for itself in sales in no time. If you only shoot for friends and family, then the 7000 could be used, but if you are trying to earn money with your camera, go for the best.