First flash - need some direction

Fish-eyed

Getting ready to buy a flash for my d5100. Budget is probably going to keep me our of a Nikon speed light, so have been looking at the Yongnuo's. Now I need some advice from you experienced flash photographers out there. Maybe i'm over thinking this and there is no right/wrong decision.

I want a flash so I don't have to use the built in one and so that I increase my options when I take pics. I also have a young granddaughter and love the idea of being able to take quality portraits of her as she grows up. Looking online I can buy 1 565ex w ittl for about 150 or 2 560's for around $110. Prices are rough quotes but in the ballpark, I just don't have them written down with me. Reading various articles online there are different opinions on if ittl is important or not. I know my camera doesn't support commander mode so that's not an issue. I also know that I'm probably not ready for 2 flashes now but will probably want to move in that direction if I take this further. I just don't want to pay for the more featured flash if in the long run the 2 cheaper one's are a better fit for what I'll end up doing.

What are your thoughts? What path should I start on and why? Are there any other options or any other consequences of my decision ( other then it will just fuel the desire for me to buy more camera stuff.)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Just-Clayton

I use a Sunpak PZ42X. It has TTL and manual. It still works great. Pretty simple to use. It usually stays on my 3100 and my sb700 stays on the 300s.

joecap

I am in the same as you.
When I got my D5100 I couldn't afford the SB700. So I got the Bower SFN728N ( $50 newegg ).
It is ITT.
Its been ok but not totally happy.
It has a manual Zoom. So I have to pull the front in & out for Lenes.
I looked at the Yongnuo's line 465, 467, 565 etc.
I think I am just going to get the SB-700..when I have the money.... Its the Best. And its Nikon !!