YN-560 newbie

Spudbuug

Apologies in advance for the newbie question... This is my first flash.
I just received te YN-560 yesterday. I do understand that it is a manual flash. Maybe it wasn't the best flash to choose as a beginner, but the price was right and I figured that I would be able to figure it out.
My question is..... What do you do after you plug it into the hotshoe, turn it on, dial in the power/zoom on the flash..... And then is it just supposed to work when you hit the shutter?Again, I know this is a dumb question but I'm thinking that A) There is a setting in the menu somewhere that needs to be changed since it's a manual flash or B) something is broken.
I'm hoping there is an easy answer to this, I've had no luck with any searches or other forums. Any advice or tips on the yn-560 would be appreciated, thanks!!

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
There might be instructions with the flash??? Try youtube maybe. Sorry I can't help since I use Nikon flash.

Berkerk

There were issues with early production runs of this flash, you can identify the earlier models by looking at the hotshoe foot. Plastic is from the initial run and metal the most recent.
Problems with the early run included stuck zooming heads and faulty capacitors.
As for settings, the only thing you may have wrong is having it in IR slave mode (this is off the top of my head and I don't have access to my manual to check).