Lens for youth baseball to go with D7000

rbk35

looking for a good zoom lens to use with my D7000 for shooting youth baseball. Have the 55-300 but would like to setup.
Thanks.

stmv

? I don't understand your question, the 55-3000 VR is an awesome lens, light weight, sharp, VR to help the jitter. sounds like you already have the perfect setup, unless you think you don't have enough range, then you could consider a 18-200 VR that would give you a full range, but you might miss the 300 reach.

Can you explain further your question?

stmv

interesting, I usually find 300 mm with a 1.5 x crop of a DX sensor enough (450) for sport shots. seems like a lot of investment to get another lens and teleconverter.

I have mixed feelings with teleconverters, they seem to rob the lens of some quality, never mind the reduced light.

One consideration would be some of the Sigma long range zooms, they have decent reviews, and great reach like a Sigma 150-500 lens.

stmv

no,, the crop factor is the same whether a DX or FX lens. The DX lens means that it has a smaller circle and only covers a DX sensor, so if you use a DX lens on a FX body, then you would have a circle projected onto the FX sensor which is why when a FX camera detects a DX lens, it will automatically crop down the sensor to the DX size.

But both the FX and DX lens on a DX camera will fully cover the area of the sensor and both use a multipication factor of approx 1.4-1.5 depending on the camera. So, for example if you buy a sigma 10-20, that is the same as a 15-30 range.

Hence if you have the 55-300 DX VRII lens, that has a reach of a 450 mm on the D5100/7000 or any DX camera.

That is one reason there is a hard core DX following that don't want to give up that extra reach (think bird photographers).

The 18-200 is a really nice zoom, because it gave you effectively a 27-300 mm zoom in one package. Somewhat wide to fairly long tele.

Last edited:

Stangman98

If you can't reach it with a 300mm on a DX body you need to get closer. It's really that simple. Getting a 70-200 2.8 with a converter is not going to help and will be a waste of money. You will then be at about 600mm with the 2.0 converter. 300 base x2 and the cost would be in the $2500 range.