Recommend a bag?

RickSawThat

If I'm out to shoot pictures my camera is out of any bag and the lens cap is off AND the camera is turned on always. Missed too many good pictures fumbling with getting my camera out of the bag or the lens cap off....

Just my style and humble opinion.

Billy Y.

I like the Messenger style Crumpler bags - Crumpler 5 Million Dollar Home Bag (Black/Olive Green) MD-05-15A They have a lot of sizes from the 1 million dollar to the 8 million dollar. The great thing about them is that you can swing them from your back to your front in about one second, open the top flap, switch a lens and swing it back to your backside without ever taking it off your neck. lots of different colors too. Oh, and did I mention that they are so stylish you will appear 10 years younger? :)

Last edited:

N_Addy

For light-duty wear around town I highly recommend Domke. They have a number of sizes to fit any combo of camera body and lenses.

eurotrash

Just bought myself a Lowepro Passport Sling. Unconventional, yes. But, it has the ability to hold one attached lens, plus two more small ones and my rain shell plus some odds and ends. That's really all I need for a walk-around bag.
It also doesn't really look at all like a camera bag which is a nice plus. Though I don't get the logic to that since if I have my bag on my person, my camera will likely be out and shooting anyway!:p

I like to travel light :)

eurotrash

There is no perfect bag, but the ones listed here just might fit the bill.
Besides, I'll bet you already have a few laying around, right?;)

Eye-level

Banned
I'm with Rick bags and caps are for transport to the site of the action... :)

I got mine at Wal Mart I think and custom modified the strap. I can fit my F2 with lens, my D5000 with lens, and the light meter and some extra film in it perfectly. I wrap my cameras up in t shirts!

eurotrash

Bags are like lenses/beers/cars/women/pretty-much-everything-on-the-planet. Each individual has their own opinions on what makes one stand out from the others. There's a lot out there.. Just have to find what works for your particular situation. And many, I've learned, have multiple bags, one for each situation, so that makes it an ongoing quest.

N_Addy

+1. I have a closet full of bags but I'm always looking for others to fit specific situations. The quest for the perfect all-round bag never ends. My wife claims I have more camera bags than she has purses.

And like Eurotrash said, everyone has their favorites. If you ask 10 people to recommend a bag you'll likely get 15 different answers. Still, it's useful to see what folks like and don't like. But always remember that they may not have the same requirements as you. For example, do you travel with your gear? That's different from carrying a bag around town.

Of all the bags I own these are my favorites for different situations:

1) Light carry (one body, one lens) - Lowepro Toploader Zoom. Just right for light needs but screams "Camera!!".
2) Around town (one body, one or two lenses, hoods, cleaning supplies) - Domke F-6. Great everyday carry bag. Lightweight but made of heavy canvas so it molds itself to your hip. Doesn't stand out as a camera bag. These bags will last a lifetime.
3) Travel (one or more bodies, multiple lenses, extra packing room) - Tenba Shootout Sling. Similar to the Lowepro Slingshot but I much prefer the Tenba. These bags are tough and well padded for extra protection. Easily fits under a commercial airplane seat.
4) Hiking - Tenba Shootout Sling (again). Comfortable to carry, quickly slips around for fast access.

Last edited:

Dooku77

I'm using a Maxpedition Colossus. Extremely durable and it's padded all the way around. It fits my gripped D7000 with Sigma 50-200 attached and under the grip is my Sigma 18-50mm lens. Everything fits in there extremely well. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345001435.470124.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345001449.718295.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345001471.076898.jpg

SamSpade1941

Maxpedition makes wonderful kit, I have a Fatboy that I used while working in the Middle East as a gear bag and it held up really well. No complaints very solid construction.

Dooku77

If I'm out to shoot pictures my camera is out of any bag and the lens cap is off AND the camera is turned on always. Missed too many good pictures fumbling with getting my camera out of the bag or the lens cap off....

Just my style and humble opinion.

Ditto. My bag is strictly for transport.

Dooku77

Maxpedition makes wonderful kit, I have a Fatboy that I used while working in the Middle East as a gear bag and it held up really well. No complaints very solid construction.

It was a bag I had laying around that wasn't even purchased for this purpose. Lol. Turned out to be one of the best gear bags I use. I also have a very rugged Rapid Dominance messenger bag I'm going to try with a padded camera insert. I'll post pics when I put it together.

AntrimHills

Actually I have one bag, but can fit a dslr body, 3 lenses, flash, video recorder, all power and connection leads, spare batteries etc into it. This was more just for keeping the camera in when not taking photos. Appreciate what you're saying RickSawThat, but I photograph landscapes, and they don't have a habit of changing too fast, so am in no particular rush to capture the action. I should have said the ability to strap a small tripod on would be an advantage too - a smaller version of this would be good...

SamSpade1941

I can give a vote for Tenba now, I was at the camera store getting my sensor cleaned the other day and I was looking around, they had a large Tenba bag that someone had traded in with some gear. I ask about it and they told me to make an offer, I looked it over for a bit and did some research on the the old iPhone. This thing is large enough that it holds my 35mm, my Sq-Ai and a few lenses as well as film, media cards and the other stuff I like to carry. Very spacious.

Good bags from what I can see.

Phillydog1958

I have four bags of various sizes. Three are Lowepro bags and one is a Tamrac. Overall, Lowepro makes a great bag. Tamrac bags aren't bad either.