Help! I new to all of this!

gineffer

Hi! As stated in the 'Title', I am new to this so please be patient! I recently aquired a Nikon D300 and can't wait to start using it. I read my manual, charged my battery, set up my functions, and put on my lens. Sounds good, right? Well, I can't get an exposure:( I press the shutter release, and nothing. I took the lens off, and yes I got an exposure. Any ideas?

pedroj

Remove the lens cap...LOL...What do you mean? I took the lens off, and yes I got an exposure...How did you expose an image without the lens?

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Steep learning curve waiting for you here. Is the lens on auto-focus? In the menu, there is a setting that won't let you take a picture unless it is in focus. Did you press the shutter halfway and got the focus confirmation? Is there a memory card in the camera? What were you trying to photograph?

You'll have to give us a little more info if you want us to help.

Welcome to the forum and sorry I can't help you more than that for now.

AntrimHills

Not trying to make light of the situation, but it reminds me of a guy years ago who bought a Konica compact camera off me when I worked in a photo store 22 years ago. He took the camera to a wedding, and took 36 pictures. Not one of them was of a wedding. He was obviously annoyed, so we gave him a free film, and told him to test the camera this time. Again 36 pics of nothing but a reddish, peachy colour. I gave him another film, only this time asked him to test it in the shop.

Test Result : He was holding the camera back to front.

Motto of the story: Check the simple things first. It's usually them that catch us out the most!