brighter photo

pnarine

Hello

i'm using a Nikon D3100 looking for help taking brighter pictures, also have a D40 which takes brighter pics.

thanks

Patrick

stmv

ok,, odd post, cameras are calibrated and designed to be consistant from an ISO, speed, aperature setting, and usually are consistant. So, perhaps you are shooting in different mode than your D40, I suspect if you put it on a tripod, used the same lens, manually set the aperature and speed on the exact same subject,time of day, the pictures would overlay very very similar.

eurotrash

I only see one photo from the D40 there. Can't compare it to anything if there's only one photo.
I can see you used the d40 with the kit lens at ISO200, shutter: 1/400, f10. Looks correct for those settings.

Just upload the other to the site from Flickr, it would make everything easier.

Last edited:

StringThing

Both pictures look properly exposed to me as to the settings you were using (full auto everything). In the D3100 photo the dominate subject, in this case the white building, is properly exposed. If you wanted to brighten up the border elements -- the cars on the parking lot, the building on the right -- then you will need to compose your image differently or use exposure compensation to make the border subjects brighter (at the cost of over-exposing the white building). You could also experiment with the different metering modes that the D3100 offers. For this photo you used Matrix metering, you could try spot or center-weighted.

Hope that helps.

Steve