Lenses lenses endless dilemma

kravatti

Hi, i have d3100 + 18-50 vr and 55-200 non vr (got very bargain price to test focal lengts) Im looking for getting good range budget set for travel and group portraits. I was planning on getting 35mm 1.8g first, but now in my country people are gettin ready for vacations and the used price is same as new one. (ill get that 35mm later, I MUST GET!). First i was thinking 35mm + kit+ 55-200/300 vr but now nikkor 18-200 vr used price have collapsed and is in bargain price. (almost same as 55-300)

So would u recommend 3 lens kit 35mm+18-50+55-200 or 18-200+35mm? This is so troubelsome! By the way how well 18-200 perform in evening when not that much light around or in restaurants/pubs?

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
It all depends on what you want/need the pictures from (final output). If it's for personal souvenirs, I find the 18-200 the perfect travel lens. It covers a lot of situations and the VR is nice for interior shots. Mind you if you have people moving, the VR does nothing to freeze their movements. Only a fast lens would cover that.

Las year I went on a cycling trip to Hungary and I only took the 18-200, 35 1.8 and 10-20, and the 18-200 took probably more of 80% of my shots.

Why not try to sell the 55-200 and get the 18-200 AND the 35 1.8?

Best of luck deciding. Oh, and don't you worry, your lens needs will never end. :)

kravatti

Thanx for qucik reply. Traveling is what the lenses are mostly needed and 35mm for evening walk around and taking photos of food. Im selling the 55-200 cheap price to another beginner. (It's pretty good for starter to understand what focal lengts you will be using. + without vr daylight photos are decent) Ill think i go for 18-200 + 35mm thanx for info.

stmv

I have to agree, that for the DX sensor, hard to beat the 18-200 lens. A good reason why it is so popular, The awesome travel lens.

Ironically, I have the 18-200, but when I added my D7000, I personally went back to the cheapo 18-55 VR, and a 55-300VR as my light weight package. Here is the reason, the newest 18-55 is a gem for sharpness, yes, low cost, but don't throw stones at this lens, it will capture images sharply with little distortion. Best, it is so light weight that a joy versus the 18-200. I keep the 55-300 on a belt pouch, and when I need the reach, this lens holds up to the sharpness of the 18-200, but has that extra reach that I so do like. As such, my 18-200 collects dust (no I will not sell it - still handy for when I only want one lens).

In the end, no such thing as a perfect lens, which is why my shelf gets cluttered with them.

threee lenses dont be silly ...changing lenses letting dirt rain in and the weight ...time taken to change them the photos gone.

Get a 18-200 mmm sell the others on e bay and fund the project ..If you need it a 10-20mm sigma is a great lens...With the faster iso speed available in the camera who needs an F1.8......