Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Lens

twister

Hey Guys, I just put my new lens on my D300.
When it auto focuses on an object it locks and then a couple of seconds later your hear and feel it click is that normal?
I am having a little panic attack!
cheers
Michael

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Is this with VR on or off? Try it both ways as I suspect what you are hearing is the sound of VR being switched on and off.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Ah yes Vr on it make the noice and a little twitch
Vr off not click or twitch!

Do they all do this?

Mine does for sure and I suspect they all do. No worries there. Just enjoy this superb piece of optics.

Enjoy your Nikon and welcome to the forum.

stmv

yes, and remember to turn off the feature on tripod! I almost find this feature a pain, since I so often put my camera on tripod, and I have to remember to move the switch, but can be handy when hand held, and with this lens for sure, the VR is very handy. nice lens.

stmv

also, for those on more of a budget, but wanting 2.8, the 80-200 2.8 D lens is still sold brand new, for just over a 1000 dollars versus 2300 for the 70-200 G lens. Build quality of the 80-200 2.8 is great, and what you give up is the VR, but still, a Pro quality lens for 1000 dollars!

Used, I have seen these around 800 dollars. but at a 1000 dollars I would seriously consider buying brand new.

Both of these lens are tanks, so,, expect to develop muscles carrying around. I tend to use this lens when I am at an event where less mobile, and mounted on a tripod (which negates the VR anyway).

Update -> turns out that the 5100 will not focus this camera, so you have to have a 7000 300, D3, D700, or D800 to autofocus. I thought the D5100 had a lens af drive? but talked to someone that just bought the lens, and she had to manual focus it on the D5100. Can still use the metering, etc, just not autofocus.

Last edited:

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Just adding some sample images.

D7000 with 70-200mm

MWR022.jpg

twister

Thank Guys, we should keep our [h=2]Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Lens[/h]Images on this thread ...they are great!

Robert Mitchell

Just found this thread. I didn't realize there was a vI and vII thread. Anyway, my post was short and sweet. I use this lens for the majority of my work. It's a brilliant lens.

Samsonite

@STMV - I assume you're referring to the 80-200 when you say that it does not autofocus on the D5100?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk!