SamSpade1941' s Contributions

SamSpade1941

I thought I would go head and start my 365 thread , I am actually starting my thread off with some older images because cnyram commented that he would like to see some more totems from my area. So I will start off by adding the color version of the image I posted in the Photo Critique forum and the Ford Pinto Totem as well . I hope you enjoy them and then as time goes on I will do my best to post additional photos that are fresh and not from my archives.

Pickup Truck Totem In Color

pick_up_truck_totems_revisited_color_by_samspade1941-d5aueh9.jpg

Ford Pinto Totem

The day I shot this totem all I had with me was my 18-55mm and I was kicking myself in the butt, I wish I had brought my 55-200 so I could have zoomed in closer, this one sits out in a wheat field and I shot it from the shoulder of the road. As you can tell the terrain is relatively uninteresting so cropping it with a tele would have worked wonderfully and I will re shoot this later on. On a certain level though this shot did work for me cause the winter wheat was in the ground and everything was green and the totem contrasted well against the winter wheat and the cedars. I want to say this was shot in November but I cant remember.

lone_totem_by_samspade1941-d4cdifk.jpg

SamSpade1941

Todays offerings for your perusal and enjoyment...

my lackluster attempt at a self portrait and yes I am aware there is not much to see of me , I shot this for a photo challenge where you shoot 30 photos in 30 days starting with your self portrait. The problem has always been I simply hate having my photo taken, I know funny considering that I love to take photos. So I took the easy way out..

looking_down_the_barrel_by_samspade1941-d5b35g0.jpg

The second photo is in a way a self portrait , I had someone ask me on another site what I use for most of photo work , to which I replied I only have one camera lol. Still I shot this photo for him and explained what I did with everything. I actually only use the Mac Book Pro when I am not at the house. I have a Power Mac G5 I use for photo processing when I am at home.

tools_of_the_trade_by_samspade1941-d5b384n.jpg

SamSpade1941

An abandoned mobile home out in the country that is being slowly reclaimed by nature and has decayed beyond the point of salvage. I expect sometime in the future it should collapse. Still in its decay it has a weird beauty.

Mobile Homestead 5x7.jpg

Mobile Homestead 2 5x7.jpg

Face In The Rust.jpg

SamSpade1941

Straight line winds over 100 MPH I have stuff scattered over a mile away and a missing 500 gallon poly tank. It took out 100 feet of fence . Gotta love Okla weather ..

SamSpade1941

A series of five images I shot of an old barn that resides on my property that has been very slowly collapsing, I shot these over the weekend when the storm came through, The clouds provided a very interesting back drop for the old barn and its textures. I just wish the storm would have finished the old barn off when it destroyed my perfectly good storage shed.

Enjoy

old_barn_3.jpg

old_barn_1.jpg

old_barn_2.jpg

old_barn_4.jpg

old_barn_7.jpg

SamSpade1941

Photos from the Apothecary eatery which actually did used to be a pharmacy at one time. It still has a soda fountain in it and serves lunch . There is also an antique store.

The first is the window front sign show from inside I love how everything was silhouetted against the storefronts across the street.

Apothecary Sign Monochrome.jpg

This is a shot from the interior of the Apothecary which I rendered using a preset in Topaz to give it a pencil sketch effect, I often do not use presets like this but in this case it works very well because the actual photograph while not bad, is not particularly interesting to me. Rendered as a sketch it actually has some character.

Apothecary Sketch.jpg

SamSpade1941

This is a series of eight photographs I shot of a municipal swimming pool designed and built in 1926 by engineer Wesley Bintz. Bintz became well known for pioneering an ovid designed pool that was constructed by many towns and cities primarily in the central United States and in the South. His pools are known for their distinct design, and while some are still in operation many have been demolished or closed due to deterioration. Part of the reason for this is because of one of the selling points of Bintz's design. Most of these pools were built near creeks or rivers when they were constructed to facilitate easy filling and draining. However this also caused many to be damaged due to flooding which ultimately caused their closure and or demolition. The Randlet Park Pool has been closed for several years now.

wesley_bintz_designed_pool_randlet_park_1_of_8_by_samspade1941-d5dcs02.jpg

wesley_bintz_designed_pool_randlet_park_2_of_8_by_samspade1941-d5dctrx.jpg

wesley_bintz_designed_pool_randlet_park_3_of_8_by_samspade1941-d5dcwgs.jpg

wesley_bintz_designed_pool_randlet_park_4_of_8_by_samspade1941-d5dcxn5.jpg

wesley_bintz_designed_pool_randlet_park_5_of_8_by_samspade1941-d5dd1ld.jpg

wesley_bintz_designed_pool_randlet_park_6_of_8_by_samspade1941-d5dd3kv.jpg

wesley_bintz_designed_pool_randlet_park_7_of_8_by_samspade1941-d5dd591.jpg

wesley_bintz_designed_pool_randlet_park_8_of_8_by_samspade1941-d5dd6d1.jpg

Last edited:

SamSpade1941

A series of interior lighting fixtures that I photographed, I loved the symmetry and the contrasts that were created by the lights and the shadows. It had a very film noir feel in a way.

Lighting Fixtures.jpg