Using Manual Lens

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Welcome to the forum Randy. Could you describe your situation a little more please?
Not getting an image could be wrong shooting parameters (iso, f-stop, shutter speed)?

Have you tried it in automatic? A mode? Was your lens diaphragm set at 16 or 22 so the camera could control the f-stop?

What were your settings and what was the light situation?

With the right info, someone probably could help you.

Nikon Photographer

Using the older manual focus non CPU lenses, like the E series lenses, on the D3200 you will have use of the electronic rangefinder to get the correct focus but the exposure indicator can't be used, so you'll have to set the camera on M and use the LCD screen to work out the correct exposure, using the aperture ring on the lens, as it has no electronic contacts, the camera body will not be able to communicate with the lens ...

Eye-level

Banned
You may be able to go somewhere in the menus and find a place where you can enter in the non CPU lens information and then you will be able to matrix meter with the lens.

Make sure you have it mounted properly too.

Nikon Photographer

You may be able to go somewhere in the menus and find a place where you can enter in the non CPU lens information and then you will be able to matrix meter with the lens.

Make sure you have it mounted properly too.

That simply isn't possible, there is no metering available using non cpu lenses, the camera will have the be set to the M setting, as all other modes, the shutter release will not function, the electronic rangefinder will work with lenses with an aperture larger than f5.6 but the metering will not work no matter how you try, you may find a hand held meter useful, and can be pick up off eBay pretty cheaply, I still have my old Weston master 2 in my gadget bag.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Here is some help for exposure data based on the famous sunny 16 that originally came from the Kodak film instructions and then from this book

_MCC7786.jpg

exposure guide.jpg

Eye-level

Banned
That simply isn't possible, there is no metering available using non cpu lenses, the camera will have the be set to the M setting, as all other modes, the shutter release will not function, the electronic rangefinder will work with lenses with an aperture larger than f5.6 but the metering will not work no matter how you try, you may find a hand held meter useful, and can be pick up off eBay pretty cheaply, I still have my old Weston master 2 in my gadget bag.

You are right I just checked the specs on the 3200 and it will not meter with the old lenses no way no how (unless you chip it maybe) but you can still use them.

I have a couple of small meters that are extra units...anyone want one PM where to mail it.

Last edited:

Nikon Photographer

You are right I just checked the specs on the 3200 and it will not meter with the old lenses no way no how (unless you chip it maybe) but you can still use them.

Your right in saying you can use MF lenses on the 3200, infact some of the older MF lenses are real crackers, and the later E series lenses were multicoated, at one time I had a good collection of Nikon MF camera's and lenses, the sharpest MF lens I had was a 50mm f2.0, which I used on my F2 Phototomic, bought it second hand and had it rebuilt by Nikon as it was a bit tired and sloppy in the aperture ring when I bought it.

Eye-level

Banned
MF is a challenge. Using old manual focus lenses on a camera that can't meter where you have to set everything makes it even more demanding. If one is able to squeeze some results out of it all it can be a fulfilling deal. You have to work at it and earn though because it doesn't come easy.