Lens mount ID

Pierro

I was told by someone that this is a NON Ai lens, but it looks to me exactly like an Ai lens. I think they're wrong, because the coupling prong is there, its just black instead of silver, and has the 2 cut out holes which Ai coupling prongs have

Can someone confirm this ?

b4b79j.jpg

Eye-level

Banned
It is Ai the giveaway is the milled edge on the aperture ring at the 12 oclock position. (This milled edge is what catches another edge on the body and allows for the auto indexing...if it did not have this milled edge then you'd have to do the nikon shuffle to index the lens to the meter) Now what is the serial number and focal length of the lens? This will help us determine if it was once a non ai that has now been converted. Strange that the gunsight is black.

Last edited:

Nikon Photographer

It's a Ai lens, as not only does it have the rabbit ears with the holes in, it also has the ridge on the outer ridge of the rear of the lens, non Ai lenses don't have this.

Pierro

Thanks both of you. Its as i thought - Jeff , dont know the serial number or lens, just that it was pointed out that it was non Ai, and I instantly disputed it, but you know sometimes you doubt your own abilities, so a confirmation is nice from other Nik shooters

Eye-level

Banned
Well in case you learn the serial number and focal length you can check this out to determine what it is and when it was made. I suspect that is a converted unit possibly converted by Nikon because it is pretty clean but then again some third party may have done the conversion and painted everything black. Often they would drill holes in the gunsights to match the Ai and Ais stuff and perhaps this is why that is black.

Nikon Lens Serial Nos