macro lense advice please

bgatty68

What do i need to look for in regards to macro lenses. I would like to make a macro lense my next lense but with so many variations, what do i need to look for? I would like to be able to be a reasonable distance away from the subject and what is considered a good low (ish) budget lense?

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I'm very happy with my Sigma 105 2.8. I find this focal length great as it keeps me at a certain distance for insects shots. It's also very sharp and light. There are cheaper alternatives 40, 85, but I had this one before they came out.

Ruidoso Bill

I also have the Sigma 105mm f2.8 and love it. Look for a used one on ebay or the like. Actually it was less than many of the alternatives. Really sharp lens and seems very well built.

Some members here swear by the Nikon 60mm 2.8 as a great lens, I have seen some of the images and they are quite sharp. Used the go as low as $250 on ebay.

Last edited:

Photowyzard

I have the Nikon 105mm f2.8 VR. Killer lens. I can't recommend this enough. If you can, get a used one from Criag's List or something similar., you can save some money used.

You can use if for macro or for portraits, it is crystal clear and has amazing performance. This lens is by and large my favourite lens and the best money I have spent on glass. I can't recommend it enough. I would even recommend you wait, save and get one when you can afford it. In my opinion, it is one of the best glass in the Nikon stable.

Taken with my D90 and my 105mm:

Day-2-Girl-1.jpg
Cherub.jpg
Lady-Bug-(27).jpg

Photowyzard

No, the EXiF data would not come through as they were processed through Photoshop.The figurine is maybe 2-3" tall and the image was taken maybe 1' way. Happy to answer more, if you need it.

Cherub01.jpg

stmv

when I first started looking for a macro, I found a classic 55mm macro 3.5 with extension tube which you can pick up for 50 dollars. your 3100 cannot meter, so you would have to take a swagger, and than looking at the historygram, adjust.

When I had my D80, I actually used an old external hand held light meter. Which works just fine. Lots of macro is pretty static, so,, a bit more setup is just part of the fun.

Once your budget moves up to AF newer versions, then really comes down to how close you want to be. I really like the results of the Nikkor 60mm, but got to say, I use the 105 macro
a bit more often.

OK here is a quick shot of my finger using the 40mm. Not cropped.
_DSC3237.jpg

Camera Maker: NIKON CORPORATION
Camera Model: NIKON D3100
Lens: 40.0 mm f/2.8
Image Date: 2012-08-11 00:31:13 +0000
Focal Length: 40mm (35mm equivalent: 60mm)
Focus Distance: 0.18m
Aperture: f/4.0
Exposure Time: 0.017 s (1/60)
ISO equiv: 100
Exposure Bias: none
Metering Mode: Center Weight
Exposure: program (Auto)
White Balance: Auto
Flash Fired: Yes (Auto, return light detected)
Orientation: Normal
Color Space: Adobe RGB (1998)

Comment: (C) Don Kuykendall
Software: Adobe Photoshop CS5 Windows

IT was not Focus Distance: 0.18m It was more like 2 inches or so to let the flash hit the finger.

Last edited:

Mestre

What type of photos do you want to take?
If you're considering flowers, the 60mm is great but to get good bug shots, 60mm Is not enough working distance. Between the 105mm Sigma and nikon's 105mm VR or AF-D it Is just a manter of finding a good deal. I also own a nikon 105 VR and I simply love it.

Photowyzard

I want to know what FINGER that is!?

:highly_amused:

Sorry, warped sense of humour.

Here is a tip for buying a macro lens. Take your camera into the LCS, have an empty card, bring a small object with you and take some pictures with the different lenses. I did that with my LCS when I was deciding what to buy. If the store isn't busy, I am sure the rep won't mind.

Might help you better decide what to do. I was going to go with a cheaper lens and decided to wait and save more money after I tried out the 105. I simply loved the lens. Food for thought.

N_Addy

Mestre has asked the most important question... what type of photos do you want to shoot?

Working distance is important. Requirements for shooting coins or flowers are much different than those for shooting bugs and critters. When shooting a wasp nest, for example, a 60mm macro should be always paired with a good set of running shoes. A Sigma 150 is much better suited for the job. For general use a Tamron 90 or Nikon 105 are both exceptional lenses. Still a bit short for skiddish critters but you could get by (keep those shoes on standby).

Another question... do you have a good tripod? Platform stability is especially important in macro. VR is OK but a good quality tripod would serve you better.

For what it's worth, I own a Sigma 150 and HIGHLY recommend it. Color and IQ are exceptional. It's become my favorite lens.

Pierro

If you add extension tubes to any lens, you will have to get closer, so it may not give you a reasonable working distance, depending on what that distance is that you require.
They dont interfere with the IQ as they dont have any glass as you know, but they do cut down the light

The very cheapest way to go macro is to use a reverse mount adapter and something a like a 28mm fastish prime, say around f2.8, and reverse mount the lens, using the filter thread. If the filter thread is say, 52mm, then buy a 52mm reverse mount adapter.

For a proper macro lens, you'll get fairly decent working distance from anything around 100mm upwards. 200mm is about as long as you get in true macro lenses, but they cost a lot of coin

Last edited:

Pierro

Here's some samples using the above method, some with bare 28mm lens, some with 28mm lens and 1.4x TC. These were taken by a pal of mine using a Sigma on Pentax K20D

2luysmg.jpg

2nbv883.jpg

1fh55w.jpg

xc66hf.jpg

PapaST

I'm still playing around with my Nikon 105mm 2.8. I'm impressed with it thus far. I tried working with a 40mm but didn't really work for me.caterpillar.JPGmoth2.JPGmoth3.JPG