Shutter replacement

silvertip

My D200 has nearly 175,000 actuations on it. I am afraid that sometime in the near future (Nov- Feb) when I am shooting a high school basketball game that the shutter will fail. Anybody have a ball park figure as to the cost of replacing the shutter or should I just save the money and a lot more and buy a new camera? If a new camera what model should I looking at?

Kent

Dave_W

The Dude
I had my D70s in the shop a year ago for a shutter replacement and it ended up costing me ~$200 at a Nikon authorized repair shop.
I hope this helps.

Ruidoso Bill

Gotta love those older D200, they just keep ticking. I have read they will exceed 250,000 in many cases, I need to check mine. I added the D300 and kept the D200 for my backup. That was all a while back and didn't have the choices that exist today. The D300 I use as my main camera is a very good camera but not as good as the D7000 for low light/high ISO performance. I don't believe it is as ruggedly built as the D200/D300 and probably won't hit the shutter count either. For a DX camera there may be a couple other new models coming that look very promising and that is the D7100 and the D400, maybe worth waiting for.

stmv

Like everything, the engineering limit is conservative., but I would vote to replace the shutter when it fails if the price is around 200-250 dollars, since so little else can go wrong, have a full scrub and shutter and it is like getting a new camera. Used D200 seem to run around 300 dollars, but at least you know what you have.

As far as pictu re quality, the D200 has the last of the high quality PRE CMOS sensors. The CCD sensors have a nice look to the pictures. I hang onto my D80 for the same reason. I am sometimes blown away with the D80 shots.

silvertip

"If ain't broke don't fix it."

I won't do anything to it until or if and when it does break. I will just keep it on high speed until then. Wish me luck!