Suggestions for airport travel?

co2jae

Taking my D7000 on its first vacation trip. Any tips or suggestions regarding the safety of my camera ? I will be using a padded sling to carry it on the plane and through customs. Thanks.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
All depends on where you are going. I taped the Nikon logo and the DXXXX with black tape. I thought it looked less attractive.

Forgot to say insure it and take pictures. Don't worry too much. Worries do attract trouble sometimes.

co2jae

Going to Fla. couple of days each at Disney and the beach. More worried about TSA at the airport and the x rays then being stolen. As my wife laments, I never put the camera down or let it out of my sight anyway....

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Going to Fla. couple of days each at Disney and the beach. More worried about TSA at the airport and the x rays then being stolen. As my wife laments, I never put the camera down or let it out of my sight anyway....

No problem then. Just make sure you have a freshly charged battery and a few pics in there. Sometimes they can ask you to turn it on just to make sure. But I've never had a problem with my camera gear inside the cabin.

AC016

You don't have to worry about the x-ray. If anything, the TSA will ask you to turn it on and take pictures - most likely pictures of the floor, since you are not allowed to take pics of the security area. In my opinion, i would not bother with blacking out the Nikon label or the Dxxxx number. I have not seen any statistics dictating that Nikons are more desirable to thieves than Canons, Sonys, Panasonics, Etc. In regards to using your cam in the cabin, i have never had any issues. But then again, you never know how flight attendants will react. I have filmed a whole takeoff from Hong Kong, from pull-back to cruise altitude. Anyhow, don't worry to much, just enjoy your vacation.

Ruidoso Bill

I have never had an issue domestic or international, with equipment or memory cards. I did have a security guy in Moscow want to see the video, when I explained it only took pictures he just waved me through. My D200 has been to eastern Europe 2 times and the D300 has made 4 trips. I do pack my sales receipts in case some US Custom guy decides to challenge it. As far as insurance check with your agent and see if home owners covers loss or damage, also check your deductible and make sure it doesn't prevent you from making a claim. A $1,000 deductible and a $1,000 camera = 0

Last edited:

Photowyzard

I have a LowePro bag I carry my gear in. This is plenty to protect it. I carry my camera everywhere, it doesn't leave my side. Customs, as has been stated, may ask you to turn it on and show them that it works and is in fact a camera, no big deal, hasn't happened to me in a long time.

If you have house insurance, you are covered. Remember, you have to deal with your deductible if anything happens. I have never covered my logos because my camera strap is a neon sign for "steal me", the rest doesn't matter. If you get a solid black strap, then consider covering the logos. I am not aware of thieves focusing on one brand, they typically are opportunists. Don't leave your bags unattended, ever.

The only time anyone has tried to steal my gear from me was at a World Cup celebration in a crowd where a moron tried to grab the strap and run. He missed. I had my family in tow or I would have stuck him good with my wood flag pole. Probably best he got away! LOL

Unless you are going to a high crime area, most tourists carry cameras and you don't hear too many bad stories. Leave your gold at home, don't flash your cash, wear a cheap watch and try to keep a low profile.

Oh, and ENJOY YOUR TRIP! ;)