Scale Focusing DX and FX

Eye-level

Banned
On my FX camera if I focus on something that is ten feet away and then look at the ring on the lens it will indicate 10 ft. Now if I do this same thing with the same lens on my DX will the ring still say 10ft when focused at something that is ten feet away?

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Yes Jeff. The film plane distance from the bayonet mount is the same with DX and FX. Otherwise lenses would not focus to infinity on one or the other model. Are you still struggling with the DX FX focal length thing?

Eye-level

Banned
Thanks Marcel. I have been shooting the F2 a lot lately and I have been judging the distance to subject spinning the ring to that distance briefly checking focus most of the time I am right on then I fire the shutter. I loaned my 5000 to my friend again so I don't have it handy to see if it would work the same way.

I will always have trouble with the DX/FX thing that is why I so want to get a full frame and get rid of the 5000. I am just so used to 24X36 not any of this crop crap.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Thanks Marcel. I have been shooting the F2 a lot lately and I have been judging the distance to subject spinning the ring to that distance briefly checking focus most of the time I am right on then I fire the shutter. I loaned my 5000 to my friend again so I don't have it handy to see if it would work the same way.

I will always have trouble with the DX/FX thing that is why I so want to get a full frame and get rid of the 5000. I am just so used to 24X36 not any of this crop crap.

Maybe you have to stop thinking and just look in the viewfinder. What you see is what you get. If you don't like what you see, get the other lens out and try again. Both formats are very capable image producing tools. And DX is smaller and lighter to carry around on vacation for example.