Join the "lens-a-week" club

Dave_W

The Dude
I've invested a goodly amount of time and money identifying and buying my lenses and feel I have the ideal set of lenses for my needs. But the problem is this - I tend to do most of my shooting with my 24-70mm while my other lenses sit in the pelican case. This was not what I had in mind when I was shopping for my lenses. So I've decided I'm going to start a program called a "lens a week". The rules are simple - you can use only one lens the entire week....period. The more I think about this the more I like it. I think I'll start with my least used lens, which in my case is my 14-24mm and from there move to my next least used lens, and so on. Not only will this force me to use all my lenses, it could potentially teach me uses for these lenses that I wouldn't normally consider.

So I'm passing my idea along to the group. If you find the bulk of your lens collection sits in the closet undisturbed, join the "lens a week" club and get to know your lenses again. They weren't cheap and they certainly deserve to do more than occupy space on a dark shelf. :)

Ruidoso Bill

And while you're at it, for each lens post up some pics in your gallery. We would love to see what all that expensive hardware is producing.

Dooku77

I only have 2 sad lenses lol. When I build up my collection I would like to take part. This is a fantastic idea.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I think I'll start with my least used lens, which in my case is my 14-24mm and from there move to my next least used lens, and so on. Not only will this force me to use all my lenses, it could potentially teach me uses for these lenses that I wouldn't normally consider.

So I'm passing my idea along to the group. If you find the bulk of your lens collection sits in the closet undisturbed, join the "lens a week" club and get to know your lenses again. They weren't cheap and they certainly deserve to do more than occupy space on a dark shelf. :)

I have similar experience although my least used lens is the 16-35mm f4 VRII. If I only had a DX camera, then this would be used more frequently. For FX, the 24mm IS wide enough for most shooting situation.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I'd be real unhappy because if I felt I liked a lens more than the others it would take me six months to get back to it.

But doing it with zoom is kind of cheating. Just try one day with only one prime. You might discover things you hadn't thought of before.

Eye-level

Banned
My 50 E is like in basically mint condition and since I got the D5000 it has been a shelf queen for a long time the last snap I made with it was so long ago I can't remember...I know it has a lot in it and I know I have a lot in me for it but I just haven't melded those two things together yet..?

Dooku77

My 50 E is like in basically mint condition and since I got the D5000 it has been a shelf queen for a long time the last snap I made with it was so long ago I can't remember...I know it has a lot in it and I know I have a lot in me for it but I just haven't melded those two things together yet..?

Where can I get one of these "E" lenses?

Eye-level

Banned
I got both of mine from buying Nikon EM cameras from Ebay for like 20 and 30 bucks! ...one was mint one is mint externally but internally it has a bit of fungus on one element but it is not spider web stuff and I just have been to lazy to bust her apart and clean it.

Sometimes you can get various Nikon lenses like the E's and even some of the more popular ones on shop goodwill for like 20 bucks.

Your best safest and still cheap bet is KEH...Nikon MF...primes...amongst the best is the 75-150 E zoom about a 100 bucks.

Eye-level

Banned
Here is one that includes a camera even! This is the chrome nosed more prferable version of the 50 E and the bid is 12.99! 20 bucks for a lens that works on any Nikon DSLR? Come on man! :)

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=11136805

Here is an old 200 ai or ais lens...this is a Nikkor and it will work on anything...look at that price!!!

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=11157650

Another E 50 plus a Vivitar 80-200 MF Nikon F mount plus a nice film camera and accessories...20 bucks!..

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=11170310

The E's are everywhere!

Last edited:

Ruidoso Bill

I use my 50mm frequently, either the 50 or my 28mm are mounted on my older D200 since they are faster than my others. My least used is my 105mm macro, but I just shot 1400 food shots with it. I pretty much use what I have.

Dooku77

Here is one that includes a camera even! This is the chrome nosed more prferable version of the 50 E and the bid is 12.99! 20 bucks for a lens that works on any Nikon DSLR? Come on man! :)

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=11136805

Here is an old 200 ai or ais lens...this is a Nikkor and it will work on anything...look at that price!!!

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=11157650

Another E 50 plus a Vivitar 80-200 MF Nikon F mount plus a nice film camera and accessories...20 bucks!..

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=11170310

The E's are everywhere!

Thanks a million. You are now my ambassador of lens deals. I like the 3rd deal the best.

emoxley

I have similar experience although my least used lens is the 16-35mm f4 VRII. If I only had a DX camera, then this would be used more frequently. For FX, the 24mm IS wide enough for most shooting situation.
That D800 of your's will shoot in DX mode. So, now you have no excuse for not using the 16-35mm lens.

If you only had a DX camera? What do you call the D7000? The D800 and D7000 are listed under your name, as your cameras.
If you don't have them any more, you should change that............. :)

Ruidoso Bill

shopgoodwill.com - #11136805 - Nikon N200 Film Camera Made in Japan w Lens - 8/8/2012 8:11:00 PM

shopgoodwill.com - #11157650 - Nikon Nikkor Lens 200mm 819078 - 8/12/2012 3:00:00 PM

shopgoodwill.com - #11170310 - Nikon FG-20 Body w/ 50mm & 80-200mm Lenses / More - 8/13/2012 7:30:00 PM

The E's are everywhere!

Now look what you've done Eye-Level, given me another (other than the big auction site) site to explore, I had no idea, thanks for the tip! I am so thankful for the "F" Mount, must make Canon folks mad.

Last edited: