Delete all images from a particular day...

jmcelvoy

Just upgraded from the D7000 to the D800...On the D7000, if I hit the zoom out button enough, eventually a calendar would pop up. From this calendar view option, I could select a date and click Format to delete all the images from that date. When I do this on the D800, it just prompts for which card slot I want to review.

AC016

So what happened when you told it (the camera) which card slot you wanted to review? Perhaps after you tell it which one, it will go to that card and then you can delete that particular date? Just guessing. I am sure the manual would be able to tell you.

jmcelvoy

It brings up the Folder name and only allows me to hit OK. I'm searching the manual but not exactly sure what that option is called. I've done keyword searches for format, calendar, and review (and image review) and having't been able to find it.

AC016

i did a quick search on Google and can not find anything. I wish i had my cam with me so i could try it. I am sure someone else with a D800 will be able to help you out. Sorry

jmcelvoy

On page 172 of the D7000 manual, there is a section titled Calendar Playback. There is no such section in the D800 manual, so I'm assuming this is no longer an option???

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Just upgraded from the D7000 to the D800...On the D7000, if I hit the zoom out button enough, eventually a calendar would pop up. From this calendar view option, I could select a date and click Format to delete all the images from that date. When I do this on the D800, it just prompts for which card slot I want to review.

I get an ice cold beer if I press mine. :D

The D800 has different features with the D7000. It is worth the investment to read and understand the functions of your new camera just like when you try the "HDR" feature of the D800.

jmcelvoy

I have read the manual. They either removed this feature/didn't include it or it's referred to as something different. That's why I came here hoping someone would have the answer as I've not had any luck finding it myself. This was a very useful feature of the D7000. I don't immediately delete images off my cards as I like to get them copied to my computer then make a backup copy before deleting from the card. For this reason, some times I would have several sessions on the card. Instead of deleting all at once, or having to manually delete 120 images, I could pick and choose entire days worth of images to delete. I hope they just call it something different now.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
If your files are already copied to the computer, why would you want to keep some on the card? I have the 7000 and have never used that feature. Once the pics are copied to the computer and backed up, I put the card back in the camera and format. I always prefer to start shooting with a freshly formatted card. Like eating in a clean plate. :)

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
That is interesting Marcel...you always reformat the card each time you put it back in?

Yup. It's what I do. I have no clue if it does make sense or not, but I find it much easier to manage my pictures. When I transfer to the computer, I just create a new folder and they all go there. Then from the card it's dead pixel's heaven. :)

Eye-level

Banned
Alright I guess I'll start doing the same...sounds reasonable to me.

When my computers start acting up I have a habit of wipe driving them then reinstalling the whole operating system (you have to format the hard drive too) so now I will start doing this with my cards too.

fotojack

I do the same as Marcel. Always have...always will. Much easier to start with a clean slate. It's better for the card, too, as it doesn't get all clogged up with a mess of stuff that you might forget about.

TedG954

I do the same as Marcel. Always have...always will. Much easier to start with a clean slate. It's better for the card, too, as it doesn't get all clogged up with a mess of stuff that you might forget about.

I thought everybody did it that way. :highly_amused:

jmcelvoy

From working in IT for the past 15 years, I know hard drives crash all the time unexpectedly. One I have the images copied to my primary hard drive and then my backup job runs to duplicate them to an external drive, I'm ok with formatting the card. I just like verifying they are in 2 separate locations before I remove them from the card.

RickSawThat

I load into the computer and then into a separate hard drive. Put back into the camera and reformat in the camera before the next day of shooting.

MartinCornwall

I download to the computer and immediately back up to a second internal drive and an external NAS drive, also every couple of weeks or after important shoots I download them all to an off site external drive, this covers against theft or fire. I format the cards in camera after they have been downloaded to this off site drive.