Help with Tripod Selection

ABN Panzer

I will apologize in advance...

I acknowledge the fact that this will more than likely disgust many of you as I am asking a question of a low-cost Tripod. While I know there are better Tripods - I’m on a slight budget. The wife was patient enough with the Camera purchase as well as a few other things I’ve recently bought for my truck but I can only push it so far.

I am looking at the following:
Dolica Proline Tripod: Amazon.com: Dolica AX620B100 62-Inch Proline Tripod and Ball Head: Camera & Photo
Dolica Proline GX: Amazon.com: Dolica GX650B204 Proline GX Series 65 inch Aluminum Tripod and Ball Head Combo for DSLR, SLR: Camera & Photo

Both have “over all” good ratings…
Claim max weight of 13.5 and 17 lbs…

I'd be using it with a D5100 and current heaviest lense is the 55-300 'kit' lense.

I’m leaning towards the GX but would value any opinions you may have.
I’ve read many of the other TRIPOD posts here (At least I think I have hit most of them) but I am not in a position, at this time, to buy a $90-100+ Tripod.

Again,
Sorry for the ‘cringe effect’ of asking about low cost tripods… but it is what I have to deal with at this time.

Thanks.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Get the tallest one so you're not going to be hunched all the time behind it. This is what I would pick.

Tripod should be sturdy enough for the 5100 and the 55-300. There is always the option to use shutter delay to minimize mirror vibrations also.

Carolina Photo Guy

I see that you are at Ft Bragg, or what my gen liked to call Fayett'Nam. :confused:

Before you get too carried away, why not take a look at the many, many pawn shops in the area.

You should be able to find a pretty good tripod for not a whole lot of money.

Here is the question that you need to ask. If a $50.00 tripod falls over with your $1,000.00 camera/lens combo on it, will EVERYONE hear you scream?

If you have to wait an extra month to get a good tripod, then wait.

A good tripod is nothing more than great insurance.

Hope this helps. :)

ABN Panzer

Here is the question that you need to ask. If a $50.00 tripod falls over with your $1,000.00 camera/lens combo on it, will EVERYONE hear you scream?

Yeah... they would hear me scream... But then they may hear me dial my Insurance Co. Already have it as a rider for droppage and water damage. :)
However your point is well understood and taken.

On the other hand... The Pawn shops never entered my mind... I will definately have a run through them.

And to Marcel and tracsoft.... thanks for your help as well!

Eye-level

Banned
As RickSawThat once said...(I know this is what I am getting as soon as I have the extra cash for a tripod.)

"Look online for an old Star D aluminum tripod. These are work horses and you can get them for really reasonable amounts. I still have mine and it was probably made in the 60's or 70's. I rarely use a tripod for the type of stuff I shoot but it's in my trunk just in case. I just saw one on my local Criagslist for $50

"STAR-D" PROFESSIONAL TRIPOD
ADJUSTABLE TO 65"
PAN/TILT
HEAVY DUTY STURDY ALUMINUM $50

Look in your area and see what's available."

TedG954

I will apologize in advance...

I acknowledge the fact that this will more than likely disgust many of you as I am asking a question of a low-cost Tripod. While I know there are better Tripods - I’m on a slight budget. The wife was patient enough with the Camera purchase as well as a few other things I’ve recently bought for my truck but I can only push it so far.

I am looking at the following:
Dolica Proline Tripod: Amazon.com: Dolica AX620B100 62-Inch Proline Tripod and Ball Head: Camera & Photo
Dolica Proline GX: Amazon.com: Dolica GX650B204 Proline GX Series 65 inch Aluminum Tripod and Ball Head Combo for DSLR, SLR: Camera & Photo

Both have “over all” good ratings…
Claim max weight of 13.5 and 17 lbs…

I'd be using it with a D5100 and current heaviest lense is the 55-300 'kit' lense.

I’m leaning towards the GX but would value any opinions you may have.
I’ve read many of the other TRIPOD posts here (At least I think I have hit most of them) but I am not in a position, at this time, to buy a $90-100+ Tripod.

Again,
Sorry for the ‘cringe effect’ of asking about low cost tripods… but it is what I have to deal with at this time.

Thanks.

Which tripod did you eventually get?