Off camera flash bracket

zx7dave

Hi All - Looking at getting a off camera flash setup. I will eventually be using the SB600/800/900. Primarily for now looking for a quality bracket/cord. Any suggestions? Would definitely need a good hand grip for holding/carrying the camera. Thanks...

evisphoto

I use a Stroboframe QuickFlip 350 Flash bracket, with a Nikon sc29 i TTL cord. . I like the Stroboframe because it allows you to keep the flash centerline above the lens in either horizontal or vertical composition. While the SC 28 is a good cord, the SC29 has the AF assist. 310-635_QuickFlip350_Lg.jpgnikon_sc_29_lg.jpg

ianmoff

I use a Stroboframe QuickFlip 350 Flash bracket, with a Nikon sc29 i TTL cord. . I like the Stroboframe because it allows you to keep the flash centerline above the lens in either horizontal or vertical composition. While the SC 28 is a good cord, the SC29 has the AF assist. View attachment 131View attachment 132

What flash are you using with this? I have an SB400 for on camera and an SB-25 for off camera. I use this with a cheap wireless setup so I can experiment using the flash at distance etc. I also have an adaptor and a very long cord. I'm thinking I could use this in an almost 'on camera' role. This would allow me to move around but still have 'off camera flash' and all it's advantages.

Last edited:

evisphoto

What flash are you using with this? I have an SB400 for on camera and an SB-25 for off camera. I use this with a cheap wireless setup so I can experiment using the flash at distance etc. I also have an adaptor and a very long cord. I'm thinking I could use this in an almost 'on camera' role. This would allow me to move around but still have 'off camera flash' and all it's advantages.

I use an SB 600. I also use my SC29 to attach my SB600 to a lightstand so I can use it with an umbrella, but I'm planning on buying an SU800 very soon so I can do away with the cord for this purpose.

johnwartjr

I used a very similar Stroboframe bracket, but switched to a Custom Brackets CB Junior last year.

The main reason for switching? The bracket is on the wrong side of the camera if you have a camera with a grip that has a vertical shutter release.

ohkphoto

Snow White
I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the D300 have commander mode making the use of a cord unnecessary?

johnwartjr

SC29 still keeps the AF Assist light at the correct height for the lens to focus.

Admittedly, the main reason I bought the bracket and SC29 is because I've used them with film for years back before they had the commander mode - commander mode seems to work well in most circumstances. I still have pocketwizards on my 'want' list, though. Someday :)

AxeMan - Rick S.

Ok, here's a dumb question out of ignorance. What is the advantage using a flash bracket like the one pictured in the second post? Out side of a handle for the camera I can't see any. Thanks in advance.

Rick

johnwartjr

2 reasons

1) the flash is centered over the lens in both portrait and landscape orientation
2) The shadows are typically more flattering in the pictures by having the flash raised higher

Ruidoso Bill

Read all the reviews and finally ordered a Custom Brackets Folding-T and a cable, it is tall enough to handle cameras with grips and folds down pretty small. Hope it works well for some upcoming work.

Ranie

Read all the reviews and finally ordered a Custom Brackets Folding-T and a cable, it is tall enough to handle cameras with grips and folds down pretty small. Hope it works well for some upcoming work.
Hey Bill, can you post pics of the bracket attached to your camera?