That Nikon Feel

AC016

It terms of DSLRs, i have only really used Nikon - i briefly picked up a Canon at the store. Well, today i had the chance of actually using a Canon DSLR. A co-worker of mine owns a Canon XSI. He wanted me to show him how to get "bokeh" in his pictures. So, i took him out side and took a few micro shots of flowers and some portrait, head-shots. Shot at F3.5 and then at F22 and he saw the difference right away. Gave him a few other tips to. However, i did not like the feel of the Canon in my hands. The body seemed to creek - the joints seemed to be making noise, not a tight fit. So, now i can say with experience, that Nikon makes damned good cameras! Both my D5100 and D80 feel sturdy and tight. I told him afterwards that i would bring in my Nikon and show him a real camera! lol <joke :p

stmv

wave the red flag in front of the Canon user. Personally, I am just glad that some strong companies exists, to force the competion.

the one thing I can say about Nikon is that they have produced a consistant feel to a camera. So, for example, if you have a chance, pick up an old F100 film camera. You will be amazed how familar it will feel, so that the difference is minute degrees. My favorite in the hand camera was/is my F3. The new DSLRs feel solid but not as slolid as these old tanks, than were more compact, and a joy to use.

I have lots of friends with Canons, so, I have found the newer Mark II/III to be pretty solid, not quite as good as my Nikons, but not bad,, its the buttons and controls that are hard (once you are used to a format).

One strange thing is that Canon does not have dedicated Bkt button, while just about every Nikon has one.

The wars will go on and on, with some times Canon leading, other times Nikon, and the real winners in this battle -> US. Long live the battle.

Eye-level

Banned
I have shot with with the Canon 1Ti, 2Ti, 3Ti, and the 7D. I don't really feel anything drastically different from Nikon with any of them. The 7D is immaculate any camera person would be happy with it. The one thing I do not like about the Canon system is they change up their lens mounts to often.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Well, my experience was a little different. I picked up a 5D Mk III that a friend has got. I was very surprised on how light it was compared with my D700 and my hands felt right at home and the camera held very well in my hand. The buttons and controls though were like aliens. And the high iso images it produced were very very nice and the focus sprinted into place even in dark surroundings.

I wouldn't sell it back if I ever won one. And the Nikon lenses can be adapted too...

stmv

You hit the issue directly on the nail head. You can see a thread I put out today on the low cost of the Nikon Series e lens (super quality), I am so so happy that Nikon has stay true to their lens line. Frankly, my investment in lens way outweigh my camera investment.

I cannot tell someone the joy it is to put a PRE AI lens (with a bit of grinding to convert), and the Camera works great. One can build a lens collection at whatever budget one has.

So,, the fact that my latest Nikon purchase D800 still maintians that tradition, I say bravo!

stmv

when I shot film, I loved my Nikon, but also my Olympus PC and the gem of the Olympus glass system. every system has its advantages.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
when I shot film, I loved my Nikon, but also my Olympus PC and the gem of the Olympus glass system. every system has its advantages.

That little Olympus half-frame was something. A friend of mine had one and I saw some amazing results with these little tiny negatives. Sharp Zuiko lenses indeed.

Eye-level

Banned
You hit the issue directly on the nail head. You can see a thread I put out today on the low cost of the Nikon Series e lens (super quality), I am so so happy that Nikon has stay true to their lens line. Frankly, my investment in lens way outweigh my camera investment.

I cannot tell someone the joy it is to put a PRE AI lens (with a bit of grinding to convert), and the Camera works great. One can build a lens collection at whatever budget one has.

So,, the fact that my latest Nikon purchase D800 still maintians that tradition, I say bravo!

I do not own any Nikon lenses that are Ai or newer...all of my Nikkors are pre Ai! Well take that back I do own 2 50/1.8 E's... :)

Eye-level

Banned
Ha ha Canon vs Nikon...I found this today it is flipping great. He has sort of a potty mouth but he tells it how it is...

Here is a quote I found hilarious..

why the hell would I want to have same “special sauce glass” that all of the mamarazzi-turned lifestyle-picture-takers so loved to shoot and post on blogs proving to their suburban white friends they’re amazing?

APhotoContributor: Multi Selector slut...

silvercreek

Speaking of the Nikon feel, the only thing I can complain about my new D5100 so far is that it doesn't fit my rather large hands. I'm all thumbs sometimes when trying to maneuver the camera around. I'm almost inclined to leave it mounted on the tripod.
icon_laugh.gif

Last edited:

Nikonitus

I've owned just 3 serious Nikons - a D80, D300 and now the D600. I have picked up and toyed with Canons, Sony's and other DSLR's and you're right, Nikons do have their own feel and fit to the hand. Then again, try fitting a battery grip to a Nikon and this too changes things. I did this to both the D80 and the D300 and they both became different, moreso I think because the centre of gravity changed, not to mention the extra weight. The D600 has a much larger grip area and feels quite unlike the D300 yet it still feels typically Nikon. Maybe there is someting in it...

I plan to get a battery grip for the D600 just as soon as they get here. None available just yet... Plus I am preparing a great big sharp knife for when they do arrive. Why??? Because they will no doubt cost an arm and a leg in price, but it's a necessity for me...

Dave9072

First thing I noticed between Nikon and Canon DSLR's was the sound of the shutter. Canon sounds like someone slamming a trunk lid while the Nikon sounds like a precision instrument.

Phillydog1958

I've owned just 3 serious Nikons - a D80, D300 and now the D600. I have picked up and toyed with Canons, Sony's and other DSLR's and you're right, Nikons do have their own feel and fit to the hand. Then again, try fitting a battery grip to a Nikon and this too changes things. I did this to both the D80 and the D300 and they both became different, moreso I think because the centre of gravity changed, not to mention the extra weight. The D600 has a much larger grip area and feels quite unlike the D300 yet it still feels typically Nikon. Maybe there is someting in it...

I plan to get a battery grip for the D600 just as soon as they get here. None available just yet... Plus I am preparing a great big sharp knife for when they do arrive. Why??? Because they will no doubt cost an arm and a leg in price, but it's a necessity for me...

Theyre available on Amazon now. The price is too high when compared to Adorama and B&H. Amazon Originally had 10 in stock for $322, while Adorama and B&H have them for Pre-order, for $275.