Anyone has opinions on remote flash triggers?

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I'm looking to get remote flash triggers and was wondering if any of you had experiences (the good, bad and ugly) with different brands. I'll be using it mainly in Malta for the Julian Knight training session for fashion. I suspect they will have a studio-outdoor flash system. I'd like to be wireless.

Opinions and ideas welcome (specially if you have experience).

Eye-level

Banned
Well I do not have any experience with them sir other than all the photogs on the ship were wireless but I do know that you are at a level where you probably should have such a set up. I don't how convenient it would be to drag the equipment along with you to do your piano persons portraits but perhaps you don't need it in those situations.

I think the wireless rigs they were using on the ship also sent images to the ship lab as they were taken in addition to controlling the umbrellas which is predominately what they used. About 14-17 photographers blasting away everynight and sending all of their images to two people working in the lab!

Interestingly there was one ship photog who was using only available light near a glass door. She had the same set up as the others with regard to the camera and lens and wireless rig but she had a tripod and just the onboard flash. I noticed most of her subjects were children.

Last edited:

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Well I do not have any experience with them sir other than all the photogs on the ship were wireless but I do know that you are at a level where you probably should have such a set up. I don't how convenient it would be to drag the equipment along with you to do your piano persons portraits but perhaps you don't need it in those situations.

I think the wireless rigs they were using on the ship also sent images to the ship lab as they were taken in addition to controlling the umbrellas which is predominately what they used. About 14-17 photographers blasting away everynight and sending all of their images to two people working in the lab!

Interestingly there was one ship photog who was using only available light near a glass door. She had the same set up as the others with regard to the camera and lens and wireless rig but she had a tripod and just the onboard flash. I noticed most of her subjects were children.

Jeff, first for my piano persons project, I'm only using available light in 98% of the cases. I did use a fill-in flash on one or two occasions.
The remote thing I finally bought on-line is just a transmitter and a receiver to activate external flash. I'm in no way interested in the wi-fye cards that send images to the computer. The thing is a lot of Julian's work will be outdoor with a studio flash setup. And I didn't want to be caught with a bloody wire attached to the camera while shooting. The transmitter receiver will set me free.

I finally got a cheap (45 $) unit with transmitter and receiver that will also be able to act as a wireless shutter release for my D700. So all in all, a win win thing. Now since this thing will be coming from the far away China, I just hope I'll get it before I leave for Malta in less than a month now. ;)

Eye-level

Banned
Cool! $45 bucks sounds like a safe bet to me.

So you decided on the D700 I think that is a wise choice. What lenses are you taking?

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Cool! $45 bucks sounds like a safe bet to me.

So you decided on the D700 I think that is a wise choice. What lenses are you taking?

Ah, that's another question all together. 16-35 f4, 24-120 f4, 50 1.2 AI-S, Rokinon 85 1.4 and my faithful Tamron 28-200 that weight less than nothing.
I should be OK with these. Hopefully. I got the infos I was waiting for from Julian so all seems fairly in motion for that shootout. I'm now counting the days.
The bonus is that I get a day in Paris 8:30 AM-3:30 PM, so I might as well grab the subway or train and go for a stroll. ;) ;)

Photowyzard

Lucky guy, Marcel. I am really looking forward to hearing about your experience and seeing your photos.

If you are in doubt, email them and ask for their setup info and explain what you are trying to do. I am sure they will help you out.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Lucky guy, Marcel. I am really looking forward to hearing about your experience and seeing your photos.

If you are in doubt, email them and ask for their setup info and explain what you are trying to do. I am sure they will help you out.

Julian finally got back to me. He was on vacation or assignment. So all is good. So if I get my radio control flash thing it's OK, if I don't it'll be OK still.