Sometimes Local Store - a better source

stmv

Sometimes shopping local is better than the giant photo stores. I put my name on the list the same day as a friend on a well known photo store. I was 5th on the local list, and the store is fairly small. Well, 6 weeks from the offical launch date, I got my D800, my friend has been notified that his will be arriving this Tuesday, almost 3 months later. Some of the local stores stay below the high volume radar, but still get allotments.

I like to buy my SLRs from the local stores for better service also, if something goes wrong, I drop it off there, and they take care of the sending to Nikon/and communication with the service center, versus, me, the lone person sending the UPS box to that place in the sky.. called Nikon Service.

On the otherhand, after 5 months of waiting, my friend is one excited photographer waiting for his D800 to show up.

stmv

yes,, and thank goodness for the net for access to a world wide marketplace. I buy 90% of my lens by auction.

Photowyzard

I fully agree. Although I purchased mine from a chain, the store is local and the rep is the guy I like to use all the time. He is friendly, knowledgable and keen to keep his customers happy. I have purchased 5 cameras from him over the years.

I only waited 2 weeks from the time I placed my name on a waiting list. I would have placed it earlier, but I was misinformed about their policy for taking orders. Otherwise, I would have done it sooner!

When you factor in shipping and sometimes taxes, the LCS is still a good deal. And, I always give them the first opportunity to match a price. Why not. I would rather get it from them, keep them in business and have people who appreciate my patronage.

In my opinion, this is the best way to go.

When they can't match a deal, then you have the option to get the gear somewhere else. No harm done.