Red eye problem

d131979

I recently shot my daughters picture with a D90 using two zoom lens, one with a 18-105 and another with a 70-300 lens. It was shot during night with the barrel either fully extended or half extended, later during post processing i saw a white huge red eye kind in her eyes. I know that some were i am going wrong. can anyone please let me know how to avoid this problem.
Thanks and regards
Deepak

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Deepak,

During the night the eye's pupils get dilated and if you use flash, the flash will bounce on the eye's retina and this is what you've experience. Most post-processing software will easily correct this phenomena. There is also a feature with the flash settings that would send smaller pre-flashes to get the pupils smaller for the time the picture is taken. It's all explained in your user manual.

Ruidoso Bill

As Marcel stated most post processing software will fix it, also an external flash helps, even better is an external flash on a bracket that changes the angle of the flash to the center line of the lens.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

d131979

ok thanks, I will use an external flash, thats better i guess, post processing dosent work so accurate for this problem. Thanks for your reply Bill and Marcel.

slowpoke

If this helps,I bounced the light off the floor with my SB400 and extention cord on my D90. Mexico 2 088 (100x91).jpg
I didn't retouch it at all.

e_t_o

External flash is a good way to prevent it. There is also a setting on your D90 that can limit the amount of red-eye. You can turn this on and off by holding the flash button and using the thumb-wheel. Turn the wheel until the eye icon is displayed. When this is turned on, the auto-focus assist light will first come on for a second before the picture is taken.

Please note that this function also works when an external flash is attached, so make sure to turn it off again, because the delay might not be wanted...