NEW tokina 11-16

Claudia!

I decided recently that my next lens would be the tokina 11-16 mm 2.8. I recently came across the fact that there is a new version of it. Though it is only on pre-order in certain stores, I was wondering if anyone has ordered it yet or is considering ordering it. It is only a $40.00 difference more for the new one. I posted the link to the new lens on b+h. Basically, what are your thoughts on the new version.

Tokina AT-X 116 PRO DX-II 11-16mm f/2.8 Lens ATX116PRODXN II B&H

Ruidoso Bill

The big difference is they added a focus motor so it can auto focus on camera bodies like the D40. Besides that they did improve the lens coating. Your camera does not need the built in focus motor since your camera already has one.

Rick M

The $40 difference may be worth it for the new coating. Having the new version with coating and motor will only help maintain resale value down the road.

Geoffc

I have the current one and think it's excellent, however for a modest difference I would get the new one if I was you. My only hesitation would be to see the first reports to make sure it's not lower IQ. I've read threads on here where a new lens is not as good as the old one.

Claudia!

I have the current one and think it's excellent, however for a modest difference I would get the new one if I was you. My only hesitation would be to see the first reports to make sure it's not lower IQ. I've read threads on here where a new lens is not as good as the old one.

Very good point. I don't plan to order one until late Sept if even that. Since it is barely coming out, I would rather see what others have to say. For resale value, I would rather buy the new one rather than the old one. The difference in price is very very small compared to other lenses that have newer versions released. I have really been looking at this lens for a while. I basically just wanted to know what others thought of it as a whole. Thanks!

Geoffc

Just to give you confidence in the current lens, our household got its second yesterday. Basically my wife liked mine so much. Either way it will be a great lens.

Rick M

I'm surprised how many people on this site recommend the Tokina, yet so few images are posted here actually using it?

Geoffc

I'm surprised how many people on this site recommend the Tokina, yet so few images are posted here actually using it?

It's a fair point, but personally I don't post any pictures on this site. Maybe I should start, but then it would confirm that I'm not any good!! I suggested the Flickr group as it has a lot of pictures from many different photographers and would be more representative.

eurotrash

Well that thread isn't meant as a photo critique, so your awful photography or lack thereof is unimportant. These threads help members choose the right lens for them based on the focal lengths and relative sharpness/ other aspects. Them flikr threads are great, but to me, don't represent the normal everyday photographer. They represent people who make good money doing what they do and some of the shots are taken in locations ill never get an opportunity to visit anyway.

cbg

Them flikr threads are great, but to me, don't represent the normal everyday photographer. They represent people who make good money doing what they do and some of the shots are taken in locations ill never get an opportunity to visit anyway.

I would disagree that the average Flickr user is making good money from their images. I am sure that some are, but I do think that Flickr does represent the normal everyday photographer. I will agree with you that a lot of the images are taken in locations that I'll never visit, but that doesn't stop me from using Flickr.

Colin

eurotrash

Oh, I myself use Flikr. I just think that some of the members are on a different level than some of us potentially are at the moment. That's all I'm trying to say. I want to see pictures of cats and children and postboxes when looking at pictures shot with lenses that I'm interested in potentially purchasing. Why? Because these are tests that are more real-world (instead of let's say, some crazy looking sunset in Zimbabwe on a cruise ship, shot in amazing lighting.) and I can see the minute differences better.

WhiteLight

So any news on the NEW tokina?
Is it as good as the old one or any problems?
i think the old one was really really awesome, a pity it didn't have the focus motor.
but the new one does, but does it maintain everything else too??
anyone who has used this do let me know, i think my eyes are getting on this now :)
damn the NAS ;)

Rick M

So any news on the NEW tokina?
Is it as good as the old one or any problems?
i think the old one was really really awesome, a pity it didn't have the focus motor.
but the new one does, but does it maintain everything else too??
anyone who has used this do let me know, i think my eyes are getting on this now :)
damn the NAS ;)

I believe the only other difference than the motor is a new lens coating.

Claudia!

I FINALLY received the tokina 11-16 DX II today. I havent really had a chance to use it but I already love it. I can't wait until saturday to really get to use it.

One thing though is that it is supposed to be brand new. As I opened it, there seemed to be a bit of dust and debris on the outside of the plastic bag and a little around the outskirts of the lens. Other than that, the lens is all new. I know the lens couldnt have collected dust and debris this quick since it was just released in the US just weeks ago and has not been collecting dust on the shelves. I cleaned it off and didn't really think anything of it.

Anyways, I am SO excited!

mashburn

I'm looking at getting this for my D7000. I found this one Amazon.com: Buying Choices: Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 AT-X116 Pro DX II Digital Zoom Lens (AF-S Motor) (for Nikon Cameras)
I need a wide angle really bad. I keep finding myself needing closer MM lenses, but also find that I just need a wide angle to capture the entire subject.
does the first model one work with my Autofocus or not? or do I need to get the DX2?

does anyone know of a better Wide Angle Lens that is around 10-20MM and a low F without going over $700.00?

D12345678

PM sent, but once again, i'll say don't worry about the newer version, as the original 116ProDX works brilliantly with the D7000 and you'll find them a bit cheaper than the 116DXII, so go for it! I bought mine used, but in as new, mint condition on ebay and i'm very happy with it.