Looking for Quality UV Lens Cover/Filter 77mm

Vapiano

This title says it all, who makes a quality UV lens filter? I was thinking of the Hoya or Promaster. I just purchased the NIKKOR 18-300mm and need to protect this lens.

Thanks.

Rick M

Nikon, Hoya, B&W, promaster I believe is made by Hoya. I think the better versions of any of these are fine. I actually use a my circular polarizer so much that a UV would have been a waste of money, provides the same protection and adds functionality.

Vapiano

Thanks guys. What functionality does the the circular polarizer provide over the UV?

Eye-level, what branch of service are you associated with? Semper Fidelis on my end.

Last edited:

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I've been using BW for the most part including CP filters. I also have Nikon clear filters for protection. Transparency wise, BW have been very good for my use.

Rick M

Thanks guys. What functionality does the the circular polarizer provide over the UV?

A polarizer (you need a circular one) reduces glare caused by reflected light when used within 30 degrees perpendicular to the reflected light. In use it does the following:

-Enhances the blue sky making the clouds really pop out
-Reduces reflected light off a body of water or waterfalls
-Reduces reflections off windows when shooting buildings
-It also helps reduce shutter speed for shooting flowing water.

There is about a 1 to 2 stop loss of light, that can be a plus or minus depending on the situation, there is loss with any filter. The CP is one of the most usefull filters in my opinion. Ity's always on my lens for bright daylight shots and any water work.

Geoffc

I've bought Hoya pro 1 clear protectors for my last 3 purchases. I'm happy with the results and only want them for protection.

MrRamonG

I couldn't be happier with my B+W filter. From the moment I unpacked it I could tell the quality was leaps and bounds above anything I had previously used.

fotojack

I couldn't be happier with my B+W filter. From the moment I unpacked it I could tell the quality was leaps and bounds above anything I had previously used.

Absolutely. B+W are great filters. I just checked and I happen to have one on my 55-300 lens. :)

Eye-level

Banned
One thing that can be said of just about all filters whether they be B+W, Hoya, Tiffen, Nikon, etc is that all of these companies have been around forever doing what they do. So one can probably not go wrong. Tiffen is made in the USA, Hoya used to own Pentax, and B+W is German owned by Schneider K. They are all very good at what they do.

I have some old Zeiss filters that are pretty cool I should try to convert them.