some problem in my D90 can anyone help!!!!!!!!!!!

d131979

I am not a frequent shooter, I use my D90 once or twice a week, and most of the times it is kept in a steel cabinet inside the bag and bag is covered with a thick bed sheet, so that the camera dosent be cold.
I always use a 35mm1.8g or 50mm1.8D lens for shooting indoor..there is only one florescent tube light the room is around 300 sq ft. and the tube light is sufficient for the room. but when i shoot in shutter mode the camera selects the apperture to 1.8 with ISO 800 the image should come ok right? but the image comes dark and even i cannot see the face. but if i use a flash the picture is perfectly fine.
I think there is some problem, either in the menu setting or i dont know what?
I am really really really worried because its a new camera !!!!!! please help
Reagrds
Deepak

Eye-level

Banned
Set your white balance to something different like incandescent or warm white fluorescent (3000K) and use a slower shutter speed you'll get better results (maybe something around 125 to start). Remember you are using 1.8 lenses not .95 lenses your only going to be able to get so much performance in the kind of low light you are talking about (EV 7-9)

Don't worry Deepak your camera is fine. It is OK. Keep taking care of it. I don't always keep my cameras boxed up and covered up. I like to use them and I like them to be able to set around in the open and air out so to speak. You have to be careful when bagging and boxing especially if you live in a humid environment because you can develop mold and fungus issues very easily.

Last edited:

pedroj

First of all an image to see, could be beneficial in us being able to help...

What are you shooting

10 square yards you will have to flash it, to much area for 1 flouro...

What I would do...Camera on a tripod, aperture priority, [you can assist with exposure compensation] ISO 200, and bounce the flash

Dave_W

The Dude
I'd bet it has everything to do with your exposure metering setting. It is most likely set to "spot" instead of "matrix" metering. Check your setting and see if changing it will produce the an exposure similar to when you use a flash.

d131979

Thanks Jeff, Pedroj and Mojo-F,
I will try your suggestion and get back to you by tomorrow, I am little bit relived knowing that my camera is ok. If possible i will also try to upload a picture.
I live in a coastal area that's the reason I keep my camera in the camera bag, again i cover with thick news paper and again i cover it with a thick bed sheet. It might sound silly but I am very attached to my camera and I don't want to take any chance. one more problem is the steel cupboard gets cold from inside during monsoon and winter.
I'll be back :)

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Even if the only fluorescent light seems to be enough for the room, maybe it's not enough for the camera. Don't forget that the camera can't see as well as our eyes. Our brain has the ability to compensate for lack of light where there is a point where the camera just can't see in the dark.

Good luck.

d131979

Thanks Marcel,
You are right, I have a 1.8 lens so I expected a little more. I need to remember the basic :) which i tend to forget sometimes.
Thank you
Best wishes
Deepak

Kate O'Neill

Hmmm, I am surprised you need the flash. My old faithful (now demoted to backup camera is a D90) and if I was shooting a wedding in low light conditions that and my 1.4 50mm lens usually did the job.
Have you tried working in manual dialling in 1.8 aperture, and a shutter speed of 1/60 and increase your ISO untill you get a enough light in your photo. If it is still to dark, then I would say either use a tripod and the cameras self timer (to avoid camera shake from your finger on the shutter button) or live with the fact that your room is too dark and you need more light in the room or some flash ?

Also I find for me, anything over 800 ISO on the D90 is just too noisy.
hope it helps,
Kate

Pierro

Try the ISO on Auto if you are using shutter priority, and then the camera can pick the ISO it needs. It maybe that the camera wanted ISO 1600, but if you had it set manually to 800, it would be underexposed, although you should have had a warning about it.

Maybe you metered on the Flouro light, and the camera thought " marvellous , plenty of light " but of course in the size of that room, and one Fouro light fooling the camera into think there was more light than there was = underexposure

e_t_o

I'm also a bit surprised about the need for flash. With my 50mm f/1.8 I've used Aparture priority mode (Dail set to A) and set it to 1.8. Depending on the amount of light I might go up to ISO 1600, but ISO 800 is usually okay (and most of the times has acceptable results). With a single light source, the image should be fine! Post that example!

In addition; good idea to be careful, although the D90 can withstand some handling...