Who'd a-thunk it? 8GB too small.

TedG954

A year ago, I had 8GB memory cards in all my cameras. I used to chuckle at the thought I'd ever need more than 8GB. When I saw slots for memory card storage in camera bags, I thought "What a gimmick."

Well, that was last year. This week, I actually filled an 8GB card. Admittedly, I was shooting JPEG & RAW, but still....

I ended up reviewing some of my pictures and deleted enough to finish my day. Today, my D5100 has a 16GB memory card with an 8GB back-up. Additionally, I'll only shoot dual pictures if the subject is very important or special.

Who'd a-thunk it?

My 16GB card will hold about 670 RAW exposures. I'll never need more than that. :rolleyes:

KWJams

Last year at Sturgis I took the plunge and bought a 16gig Ultra card and thought I had things under control.

By Wednesday it was full and I was close to filling a back up 8gig and by time I got home to download them I had a full 16, and two 8gig cards and put my camera away with the 2 gig card it came with hoping nothing spectacular would come up on the ride home.

Picked up a 32 gig ultra card last week and also have two 16's and two 8's for next week when we go back to Sturgis.

I have my function button set to switch from RAW+Fine to just Fine when I need it.

TedG954

Last year at Sturgis I took the plunge and bought a 16gig Ultra card and thought I had things under control.

By Wednesday it was full and I was close to filling a back up 8gig and by time I got home to download them I had a full 16, and two 8gig cards and put my camera away with the 2 gig card it came with hoping nothing spectacular would come up on the ride home.

Picked up a 32 gig ultra card last week and also have two 16's and two 8's for next week when we go back to Sturgis.

I have my function button set to switch from RAW+Fine to just Fine when I need it.

I was never able to make it to Sturgis, though I've had many trips to Bike Week in Daytona. In 1995, I was in the Motorcycle Demolition Derby. I wish I had more photos from that experience, but there is a video....

Single Video Player

TedG954

That was crazy! Were you Bullwinkle?

That was me. We saw it in '94 and my friend Max and I committed to entering in '95. Alcohol will do that to you. After the Derby, my leg swelled up so much that I had to cut my pants off. Later I had surgery on a finger. It's something I'm glad I did, but never again. :triumphant:

It's funny, while I'm writing this, I'm also reworking photos I took of the Pieta at the Vatican. I guess I'm growing up.

TedG954

That must be an amazing thing to behold in person...

It's absolutely amazing. The shear enormity of St. Peters is literally stunning. When you first see it, you can't believe the size of everything. Everything is marble, brass, bronze, and gold. And, the Vatican Museum is where they keep the good stuff. Be sure it's on your bucket list.

View attachment 14139

TedG954

Those are chairs at the bottom of the picture. Find the people going through the doorway in the lower left and check out the scale. Looking at this photo, I'd have to say the ceiling could be 200 feet up.

View attachment 14140

Eye-level

Banned
If you would have set it up on a tripod stopped it way down and used a real long shutter speed you could have made those people magically disappear unless they were standing real still!

TedG954

If you would have set it up on a tripod stopped it way down and used a real long shutter speed you could have made those people magically disappear unless they were standing real still!

I wish I had one at the time, and a better camera. I was using a small compact P&S with lots of noise due to the low light / high ISO conditions and a no-flash rule. For the Sistine Chapel you can't take a picture even without flash. I could still have done better, but I didn't really know at the time.

TedG954

I remember my first PC computer. It came with a 10mb hard drive. I wondered why I would ever need that much space. I now have 2TB at my disposal.

You must be a youngster. My first computer was a Texas Instruments and the storage system was a tape recorder. I presently have 1.25 terabyte and it is half full. I keep checking and purging to make sure I always have enough room. It's ridiculous. Progress.

stmv

yes, but at least now, the price/size of memory cards have reached the point that I don't have to carry spare memory cards in my bag, So, I have 48G (32 + 16) in the D800, and 32G in the D7000, and that is plenty for all day long shooting. One does have the discipline to dump onto the hard drives.

My wife used to give me grief for not cleaning up my folders, but the cost of external drives keep going down, that I don't find the time worth the effort, I do throw away the shots in the camera when it is clear that exposure/focus/composition issue, but otherwise, I just upload to the external dual drives.

You must be a youngster. My first computer was a Texas Instruments and the storage system was a tape recorder. I presently have 1.25 terabyte and it is half full. I keep checking and purging to make sure I always have enough room. It's ridiculous. Progress.

Nope that was my first PC. My first computer was a TI 99 and it used tape to I believe.

TedG954

Nope that was my first PC. My first computer was a TI 99 and it used tape to I believe.

Yep. TI 994A. I paid $495 for it and put it on a credit card. Before I even paid half of it off, the price had dropped down to $99. True story. It was an indication of the future of technology. Wait til tomorrow... it will be cheaper.