Florida prohibits Nikon camera Extended Warrantees

BBrown

After purchasing a D800, I discovered Florida does not allow Nikon Camera Extended Warrantees to be sold in Florida, even by Florida Nikon Dealers (I called a bunch). The only other viable option was SquareTrade (My iPad 3 warranty is through SquareTrade). SquareTrade does have a 3-year warranty available; however, it begins from the date of purchase not the date when Nikon's 1-year warranty expires. Because they both overlap the first year, SquareTrade's 3-year warranty ends up being only 2-years for the price of three years. How frustrating! I knew I lived in a relatively backwards State (The hanging chad State) but...Really? :(

Carolina Photo Guy

After purchasing a D800, I discovered Florida does not allow Nikon Camera Extended Warrantees to be sold in Florida, even by Florida Nikon Dealers (I called a bunch). The only other viable option was SquareTrade (My iPad 3 warranty is through SquareTrade). SquareTrade does have a 3-year warranty available; however, it begins from the date of purchase not the date when Nikon's 1-year warranty expires. Because they both overlap the first year, SquareTrade's 3-year warranty ends up being only 2-years for the price of three years. How frustrating! I knew I lived in a relatively backwards State (The hanging chad State) but...Really? :(

There is enough of an elderly population in Florida that extended warranties have been used by scammers for years. Extended warranties usually are nothing more than a way to separate the user from their money. Personally, I am VERY reluctant to purchase an extended warranty from anyone because of the past track record. This may be the impetus behind this rule.

BBrown

Warrantees can be a scam or a logical gamble, depending on the warranty provider. So, do I have confidence in Nikon. Yes! Do I think it is possible, or even probable, that such a complicated electronic-mechanical device could have some sort of failure after the day the manufacturer's warranty expires? Heck yeah! Been there, done that.

Photowyzard

I was in the computer industry for years. I have ALWAYS thought that anything past a year for electronics was not worth the money. Most electronics, if they get past the first 3 months of good use will last a year. If they last a year, they will go at least another 5 and then, they are obsolete anyway.

A Nikon camera, in perfect working condition and not abused will easily last 5 years trouble free from manufacturers defects and should perform as intended, trouble free. Extended warranties? As someone said, just another way to separate you from your money.

BBrown

I think you make a real good point. My D800 is my first high-end digital camera. I finally made the complete transition from film (1975 Canon F-1 and a Leica M4-2) to the D800. I wasn't real sure about the D800's long-term reliability. I'm getting a lot of feedback that's in line with your thoughts. I do appreciate the info and I think I am convinced to forgo the expense of the extended warranty. Again, thanks.

evan

Banned
peace of mind can be worth the price, as long as the warranty solid,,,read all the small print first before parting with any cash. in some uk stores the salesperson will let you buy extra cover, including accidental damage up to 14 days after the sale.

BBrown

I thought about inquiring with our State government as to why such a law exists here. I then played the inquiry through in my head, as if it were a movie. This movie had no ending...ever. I did find the top-rated company (rated higher than Squaretrade) who provides a 5-year warranty for a little less than Squaretrade's 3-year warranty. I read the entire agreement and it was almost identical to Nikon's and Squaretrade's. Pretty straight-foward, although tedious reading. A friend of mine used them (ElectronicWarranty.com) for years. He said they've been great. Its beyond me as to why these other companies are not also prohibited. Anyway, I do realize the odds of something failing with the D800 after the first year are probably low; however, they're not 100%.

warshado

I live in Florida too and just purchased a Nikon extended warranty from B&H where I bought a Nikon D600 camera.
They can prohibit selling something in Florida but they cannot prohib buying something. Just go out of State.
If Nikon thought nothing could go wrong after 1 year they might provide a longer warranty. I have already had a Nikon lens fail (stopped auto focusing) ater 1 year. Nikon serviced it free because lenses are protected for 5 years.

Cochese

It doesn't make any sense why a first-party warranty would be prohibited, but a third-party is allowed. The former wouldn't really be where the fraud comes from.