D800 B&W Heaven

Photowyzard

I converted an image I took to B&W and I think the D800 will be king of B&W photography. This is just an observation from trying out a few images. You be the judge...

Challenge-Gears.jpg

AC016

That is a nice photo, but saying that the D800 will be king.... well.... i can see that you're still enamoured with your camera:) Just an FYI: Leica has come out with a B&W only camera.

Last edited:

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I converted an image I took to B&W and I think the D800 will be king of B&W photography. This is just an observation from trying out a few images. You be the judge...

View attachment 14104

As much as I like your pics, I find the quality hard to define since the size is so so small. Could you try at least 800x800? 300x300 is a little small for a quality check.

stmv

It cracked me up how much grief the D800 is causing. I just picked up the latest Digital camera mag that had the "ultimate shootout" between the MarkIII and D800 making you think by the headline that they were going to declare winner.

the image quality shots and even noise resolution (to say ISO 6400) really gave the edge to the D800.

Of course they blah blah blah,, uplift the FPS to be such an issue.

in the end, they panicked, and gave neither camera the win. Sport users, and well serious photographers ... the MarkIII and well picky Landscape and Macro the D800.

Overall, I have somewhat taken back on how little the Mainstream magazines are not giving much cover time to the D800. Compare that to when the D700 came out, and for months the cover of the magazines were plastered with screaming articles, but the D800,,its like they whole establishment is tiptoeing around the subject....well,,, yes... its super resolution... why yes,, surprise they matched the D700 for noise (which was the defacto King),... why yes,,, they gave it many of the D4 features, etc etc... but ..... but..... like it pains them.

but holy batman,,,, 3200,, now that is a camera (well at least based upon the number of front page photo ops).

Eye-level

Banned
The ONLY advantage Canon has over Nikon in the full frame department is that Canon zoom lenses are superior to Nikkors and it has been that way for a while. Otherwise the 800 squashes the Canon. Canon does video a little bit better too.

Kamesh

I would like to share here the FaceBook link of a great Indian wildlife photographer, with whom i only exchanged messages till date and yet to meet. He is one inspiration for me to pick up a DSLR. An Amazing Personality, yet sooo down to earth.

Sudhir Shivaram | Facebook

Sudhir Shivaram Nature & Wildlife Photography | Facebook

Master-class!!!!! He freely explains everyone about the techniques involved on his facebook page.

Last edited:

AC016

Would you care to repeat that? Stop. Think for a minute. Do you really want to repeat that?

images

I can repeat it all you want Ted. However, if you would take a minute to think about what i said and to think about what i was responding to, it will become clear that i was saying this in jest. Now, steady on or else i will send some of your pictures to KR who will be dissapointed that you did not get it done right in the camera!

TedG954

I can repeat it all you want Ted. However, if you would take a minute to think about what i said and to think about what i was responding to, it will become clear that i was saying this in jest. Now, steady on or else i will send some of your pictures to KR who will be dissapointed that you did not get it done right in the camera!

I didn't realize you were the only one allowed to speak in jest. My mistake.

PS... I don't really know how to do voodoo, just in case you thought that was serious too.

AC016

I didn't realize you were the only one allowed to speak in jest. My mistake.

PS... I don't really know how to do voodoo, just in case you thought that was serious too.

My apologies then Ted. I am happy to hear that we can have fun here:) I know how people can react to KR, so i thought you were getting uptight. Sorry. Voodoo may be a good hobby.... ;)

Dave_W

The Dude
There is one thing I can say I like about Canon cameras over nearly every Nikon I've ever shot (with the exception of the D3200) and that is the shutter sound. It has a very pleasing sound to it, almost sexy and much quieter than a Nikon. And it's easily recognizable. I can stand next to 10 other photographers and instantly know what camera they're using just by the sound of their shutters.
That said, the D3200 has an almost Canon sound to it so I know Nikon has the ability to make a sexy sounding shutter. I wonder why they keep making these mirror slapping monsters?