DOF preview use and if present in D5100

Myth

Whats the use of DOF preview feature? How to take advantage of it? Do any of you use in real time situation when shooting? I am unable to find this feature in D5100 which now i think is not present. I do take a lot of close shots, so is not having this a big deal? Advice is appreciate as always.

pedroj

Whats the use of DOF preview feature? How to take advantage of it? Do any of you use in real time situation when shooting? I am unable to find this feature in D5100 which now i think is not present. I do take a lot of close shots, so is not having this a big deal? Advice is appreciate as always.

DOF preview feature lets you review your shot before you take the image...

I wouldn't be buying if a sales person said "This has the DOF preview feature" I don't think I would use it...

Philnz

You are right the 5100 does not have a DOF preview feature. Shame really.

AC016

I am sure it is a great tool - i have a D80 that has it, but have never used it. In the end, you are still going to have to adjust certain things, such as aperture and how far your subject is from the background. Therefore, you might as well learn how to do it without that little button. If you don't like the DOF you see once the picture is taken, delete and retake. But then again, why not use the DOF preview button so you don't have to keep taking pictures..... it's up to you. But in your case, you are going to have to learn how to do it by yourself, so here are a few tips i found:

How to Get Shallow Depth of Field in Your Digital Photos

stmv

I have never been in love with the DOF function, which was nothing more than allowing the actual FSTOP override to be released, so the light is reduced as the Fstop is increased, so,, of course, the smaller the lens opening, the darker the edges, which sure, corresponds roughly to the DOF points, but how really precise? and well, one knows that changing the FSTOP effects DOF, so, I don't really miss the function, but yes, still on my higher end models.

eurotrash

No, the 5100 doesn't have DOF preview. It's useful if you have a lot of time to setup for a shot, but I feel like it's better if you have a good understanding of distance as well as knowing your your aperture reacts.

RTFM! by stupidphotoguy, on Flickr

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
There is no DOF preview button on d5100 model. It is in advance model like d7100

Welcome to Nikonites.

I understand that as a newcomer you want to bring your knowledge to the group. However, if you look on top of the posts you view, there is a date. Date of the first post and dates of answers. In this case, I guess you probably did not notice, but you were responding to a thread that was over 2 years old... It is almost certain that the person that asked the question 2 years ago already has the answer, well, I sure hope so for his sake.

So, feel free to browse and participate, but just make sure you are not trying to resuscitate threads that have been dead for years.

Enjoy your Nikon!