B&W in my camera, Color in my computer..... normal?

TedG954

I have my camera set for B&W, but when I transfer the photos to my computer, the photos are in color. Am I doing something wrong? Thanks.

Dave_W

The Dude
I do not think a digital sensor can record B&W and the B&W setting is just a JPEG rendering setting so that when you look at the image you'll see it in black and white, however the actual file is taken in full color. Digital sensors are composed of blue, yellow and red sensors and can only record these three colors. Any monochrome is produced by desaturation of these 3 color sensors....I think. :)

Ruidoso Bill

Are you shooting in RAW? If so, in camera settings do not effect the file, it will be in color. If you are shooting Jpeg's, it should change to B&W. It is normally advised to shoot in color and change to B&W in Post processing thereby giving you both color and B&W for whatever the future demands. If you shoot in B&W in camera setting Jpeg's you will only have B&W, no choice.

Last edited:

TedG954

Are you shooting in RAW? If so, in camera settings do not effect the file, it will be in color. If you are shooting Jpeg's, it should change to B&W. It is normally advised to shoot in color and change to B&W in Post processing thereby giving you both color and B&W for whatever the future demands. If you shoot in B&W in camera setting Jpeg's you will only have B&W, no choice.

Yes, I was using RAW. Thanks to all.