50mm or 35mm?

T.Behuniak

I'M BACK! hahah..............With my D300, I'm wondering whether to buy the 35mm or the 50mm. Most people say 50 - but it is an FX lens so I know it will be about 75mm on the DX format, which means i won't utilize its potential fully. The 35mm is a DX, so I will get it's "full potential."

What do you think?

stmv

no no,, same multiplier effect on the 35mm,, which is 1.5*35 or about 52.2 mm, The FX lens versus DX lens is the amount of area that the lens projects on the back plane where the sensor resides. So, a DX lens will not project as large of a circle, essentially JUST covering the DX sensor while a FX lens projection is large enough to cover the DX sensor AND a FX sensor. So, one nice thing about buying a FX lens is that if you ever upgrade to the larger sensor, you don't have to upgrade all those DX lens.

As far of do you want an effective range of 52 mm (the 35 lens) or an effective 78mm (the 50mm) range depends on your subject and how willing you can move with the feet. Whenever using Primes, no such thing as one lens. It all depends on the subject and range. A reason that people recommend the 52 mm FX lens is that the 1.8 is a BARGAIN at say 130 dollars for one of the sharpest lens in their catalog.

Billy Y.

35, if nothing else for the focal length only. It equals a 50 on an FX camera which is roughly the field of view of what the human eye sees. 50 on a DX is less useful for most situations IMO. If I where you though I would save up for the FX 35, so in 5 years when DX is a thing of the past you aren't stuck with a DX only lens.

stmv

read my explanation,, 1.5 X whether DX or FX lens,, just that the DX lens cannot work on the FX sensor. you have to buy a 20 mm lens to get 35 equalivent.

Billy Y.

. A reason that people recommend the 52 mm FX lens is that the 1.8 is a BARGAIN at say 130 dollars for one of the sharpest lens in their catalog.

That is true, and looking to the future it would be a great lens on an fx camera, but on the dx I find it less useful being a focal length of around 75 mm. You would still use it, but at that length it is more of a portrait lens then anything else IMO. It is definitely a bargain compaired to the fx 35, so I would buy the dx35 and the fx 50 as both are under 200, and when fx corners the market in the future you will have a very sharp 50 mm lens. And only be out a few bucks on the dx.

T.Behuniak

The oldie but goodie 50mm 1.8d will auto focus with my D300, correct? Same with any other old film lenses that I put on a DSLR? Kind of a noob question i know but i forgot. This makes me sound very dumb ahahh

Billy Y.

The 300 should have the required AF drive motor required for that lens but I don't know for sure, and it's too hard to search specs on my phone, can someone verify?

Eye-level

Banned
I've wrestled with this question for a long time. I like wider angles (than 35 and 50 lenses) on my DX but I have FX capability too and that is what I am more comfortable with. That being said I decided to go wider rather than normal and choose sort of the classic set it at f8 and forget type of one lens kit. Now the nikkor involved is MF...the old 28/1.8 Ais version...it is a remarkable piece of engineering and is still available brand new from Nikon AFAIK...but there is another lens lurking around out there that few know and understand and what is crazy is it is super cheap for the firepower it brings to the table. I've seen them go for as little as $40 here is one that is priced at $110 I don't know the seller from Adam but he has in his possession a magical F mount lens...

Well here is a few of them...there is also one with two bids at like 50 bucks with 23 hours to go...You'll wonder why you considered 35 and 50 in the first place...with this 24 that smokes everything in its class despite it's cheap plasticky build, including the Nikkor 28/1.8, you'll be amazed...and did I forget to mention it is cheap...

http://www.ebay.com/ctg/Sigma-24mm-...c&_pcategid=3323&_pdpal=1&_dmpt=Camera_Lenses

Last edited:

stmv

ah,, I actually own the 24 mm Sigma Filtermatric, actually a fine peice of engineering, and for the old days of BW, they even have the rotating filters built in, but guess that is not really of value anymore. I took a few nice shots with it, but I tend to use the old Nikkor 24 mm AI instead, smaller, and solid as a tank.

I see some solid examples of the Nikkor 24 2.0 and also the 2.8, the 2.0 is a Gem. I would get these old Nikkor before the Sigma, but I guess if you got the Sigma for under 50 dollars, than would be a good addition.

fotojack

The oldie but goodie 50mm 1.8d will auto focus with my D300, correct? Same with any other old film lenses that I put on a DSLR? Kind of a noob question i know but i forgot. This makes me sound very dumb ahahh

Correct. The D300 has the built in AF motor. As long as the lens you're using says AF on it, it will Auto Focus. If it doesn't say AF, it won't. Just use those in Manual Mode. No big deal. :)

stmv

yes,, no problem the D300 has the internal motor drive, will work perfectly, and the D300 can also meter old glass, so you can even pick up an clean copy of a Nikon series E lens (28 1.8) for like 30 dollars, and it will meter great, Also, if you look at the focus assist, you can even tell when you have manually focused the lens (the green circle), that is the beauty of the Nikkor system.

also, don't pooh pooh the old series E lens, that was before Nikon knew how to make a cheap lens, the 100 mm E lens is one of the all time gems, so tiny and yet optically very fine. The Series E lens is one of the best way for a budding photographer to build up a solid Prime lens set with Mininum investment.

Speaking of bargains! look for 200 MM F4 Prime 52 mm, super super sharp, very compact, and best of all, I have seen these sell at 50 dollars!

Let the lens snobs chase the 1.4, 2.8 lens selling for hundred and even thousands of dollars, while you snoop in and scoop up these old gems (before the secret gets out.. oops... better hurry).

T.Behuniak

stmn, about the 200 f4, the only one i've seen is the micro and its $1500, could you say the whole specific name, i want to try and find it, thanks.