Perhaps wait before you buy these Nikon DSLRs

AC016

D300s
D7000
D5100

Updates are expected for these three cameras. This would mean better specs (if that is your thing) or that the cameras mentioned, will go down in price.

stmv

a latest test had the D7000 images outperforming the D3200 (Digital Camera), so while less pixels, really nice color and dynamic range. The D7000/D800 seem to be in the current sweet spot of pixel technology, so I am not sure if for example putting in a 24 G sensor would really yield a better product. Maybe a 24 bit FX sensor of say the D600 rumor, but who knows how long that is going to be.

Also the D5100 prices are reasonable, so,, not sure if it is really much risk, can always resell at a later date.

My advice, is to buy the camera that meets your needs, don't wait for the uncertain future, buy used where you can if you worry about overpaying.

evan

Banned
cant really see d5100 being replaced. the d300s and maybe d7000 are likely though. after only 8 months with my d7000 i cant see me upgrading just for the sake of more megapixels, 16mp is enough for aps-c. a better range finder display and audible confirmation beep for manual focus would be nice though. i think i will skip a generation like when i went from the d100 to the d90. upgrading for for the sake of having the newest technology is a mugs game.

Kamesh

Geez,
I placed an order for d7000, though yet to make payment, but getting it in a day in all likelihood. What to do now? :eek: :p

From my Galaxy S2 (Tapatalk 2)

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
cant really see d5100 being replaced. the d300s and maybe d7000 are likely though. after only 8 months with my d7000 i cant see me upgrading just for the sake of more megapixels, 16mp is enough for aps-c. a better range finder display and audible confirmation beep for manual focus would be nice though. i think i will skip a generation like when i went from the d100 to the d90. upgrading for for the sake of having the newest technology is a mugs game.

The D7000 won't be updated because it already has the battery that is allowed in Japan. The 700, 300,300s,90 all have batteries that are not allowed to be on sale in Japan because of some new regulation. So I can see why the D800 has now the same battery as the 7000. But the others can't be sold in Japan anymore if my memory serves.

AC016

No need to really take this post seriously. The info is from Nikon Rumors. It's just food for thought and none of us know for sure what will happen tomorrow. Since Nikon's parent company is Mitsubishi, Nikon can surprise us in many ways. We shall all see in a month or two.

Lscha

Geez,
I placed an order for d7000, though yet to make payment, but getting it in a day in all likelihood. What to do now? :eek: :p

From my Galaxy S2 (Tapatalk 2)

You will be more than happy with your D7000. Don't second-guess yourself. Good choice.

stmv

I personally am glad that the screen does not swing, I know that some might like the flexibility, but when you hang onto gear for years, and use the stuff hard, than just one more thing to break. Bet a lot of these will end up in repair.

emoxley

Only reason I can see for that kind of screen is if you have to hold the camera up over your head, to shoot over a crowd, like at a concert, or maybe a journalist might have to do at times. Maybe a shot that camera needed to be set flat on the ground, for some reason. Other than those examples, I can't think of another use for one. Anyone else have ideas for that screen use? :)

Ruidoso Bill

Enjoy the new camera and take lots of pics. Tech is always moving doesn't mean what you have has gone bad.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

AC016

Only reason I can see for that kind of screen is if you have to hold the camera up over your head, to shoot over a crowd, like at a concert, or maybe a journalist might have to do at times. Maybe a shot that camera needed to be set flat on the ground, for some reason. Other than those examples, I can't think of another use for one. Anyone else have ideas for that screen use? :)

The screen is an assumption/rumor. the 5000 and 5100 have them and they serve the purposes that you mentioned. It's a neat little feature. Only time will tell.

Claudia!

My previous DSLR had a flexible screen. It is the only thing I miss from it. It is also the one thing I would really like for my d7k. The perks of it was mainly issues with the sun. There are times when I am unable to really see the display. When I had this old problem with my previous DSLR, I would just flip the screen in certain ways. Now of course you can hold the camera above you or turn certain ways but I have very very very bad wrists so the flexible screen would be a major plus in my book. Despite the fact that the d7k is lighter than other DSLRS, I have to use wrist straps whenever I shoot bc I cannot handle the weight of my d7k. Another plus for it is when you need to be in a certain spot for the right picture but you cannot fit your body in it, you can just extend your camera. As well, you can flip the screen when it is on the tripod and when you are taking a self portait or using a remote. So there are certain advantages of it. It just depends on the person.

Last edited:

emoxley

I'm glad you like the light weight of the d7k. I didn't. It felt too much like a toy to me. It was too small for my big hands too. So, I bought the Nikon battery grip for mine. It added bulk, which made it feel much, much better to me. It added some weight too. Now it doesn't feel like a toy anymore. Now it also balances out things when I have my 70-300mm lens on the camera, which is most of the time. I'm loving the grip on mine...........

I can see how the variable position screen would work where your body doesn't fit. I hadn't thought of that, but how often does that happen? Just using Live View with a fixed screen would probably work too, in most cases. Maybe others know some more good reasons for the variable screen? :)

Eye-level

Banned
Swinging screens are good for cinematography. Personally I like mine on the 5000 but the only thing I use it for is to protect the screen when not in use. It has been very durable so far and I really can't see it breaking unless it was torqued somehow.