Anatomy of a Nikon D800 fix

Dave_W

The Dude
And of course I didn't finish the entire blog before posting this. Seems they fixed the left focus but mucked up the center focus....go figure.

Dave_W

The Dude
Yeah, it's a shame. I've spoken to him directly on several occasions and know how much he wanted this camera. You know, I can live with the far left focus issue but a center focus issue is unacceptable. I've got another 10-ish months left to send mine in and am in no hurry to do so. It's just such an amazing camera with the most beautiful color and crazy sharp images, it will be hard to ever find a time that I would want to be weeks without it. And as much as I like my D7000, this D800 is just so much better in every way. And I say this as a confirmed D7000 advocate, too. I almost wish I hadn't ever picked up a D800, I'm ruined for any thing of lesser quality.

Unfortunately Nikon has a policy that requires X-number of submissions before they issue a recall/advisory, so hopefully by late fall they will have hit this number and will be offering free shipping for those not able to ship thru their dealers. It's now up to Nikon to pay attention to their customers.

stmv

I did a test on mine, and did on first pass did not see the issue with my 35 mm lens, but I'll experiment a bit more. In landscape, mode, I typically use F8-F16 so the issue is not as effected, and than when I shoot macro, I use center focus, and when shallow dof, the left edge is typically softer anyway, so realistically, I really don't see this issue having much of an effect. Sometimes, as stated, we just get too obsessed on this type of issue, I definitely would not return my copy!

Photowyzard

I will be honest, I am surprised Nikon is handling this so poorly. They are handing the competition the edge they have on a silver plater. Idiots.

Time for someone at Nikon to fall on a blade, I think, and get some fresh thinking in for a stagnant company. For who they are, this is really crappy service!

Makes you wonder what is going on there.

bluesboy

I have to say I agree with you Photowyzard. What should have been a triumph has become a PR disaster. I love Nikon gear, and I want a D800 but I'm not buying until this mess is sorted out.

They have a great history and a proud reputation and I for one would forgive them an awful lot if they were just up front about this. Stuff like this happens and people understand about the earthquake and the floods etc but the customer needs to be taken care of, which is not happening as far as I can see.

Photowyzard

Bill,

I wouldn't let this stop you from buying a D800. Buy it from a dealer who will take it back in 30 days if there is something wrong. Then buy it again.

My purchase was seamless, the camera is 100% out of the box, and I am simply DELIGHTED with it. If you want to take some breathtaking images and were planning on getting one.... now is the time. You can brand Nikon Japan complete PR idiots, but it doesn't take away from what a killer photo taking machine the D800 is.

Don't get hung up on this sensor thing. Truly, this is minor. The stupidity of the corporation is minor too. Just cover your own butt, let them worry about the rest. When the pile of returned cameras gets big enough, they will do something about it. This is typical big company, narrow thinking mentality, and toss in a little arrogance.

You take care of Mr Small consumer, hard earned money to spend, first and foremost, but don't cheat yourself out of a great product.

Buy it.
If it isn't 100%, return it.
Get one that is 100% or keep returning it.

My bet is, you won't get one with the problem!

BooBoos

I will purchase a D-800 some time in the future but not now. I do not like the way nikon dealt with the issues in regards to the D-800.I also think they are flooding the market with to many cameras.Not enough testing before they are released to the public.